• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Straight Grade?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I saw this 1880-CC Rev 78 Morgan with a straight F15 grade, but it has a damaged rim (7 o'clock obverse, 11 o'clock reverse).  I thought that damage would get it a Details grade and wanted to see what others thought.

1880-CC $1 R78.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/24/2023 at 5:42 PM, EagleRJO said:

I thought that damage would get it a Details grade

Obviously, the rim ding wasn't severe enough in the graders' opinion to warrant a "Details" grade for this well-circulated coin. I have observed that the more worn a coin is, the more surface damage is allowed before the coin will be "Details" graded. Even uncirculated coins are allowed some issues. This 1883-O dollar has a small but noticeable rim ding at 11:30, but PCGS graded it MS 66.

1883-OMorgandollar.thumb.jpg.fb43b1e1cf358ad17307f5d76ce2791b.jpg

I have many low MS Morgans that have lots of marks and dings. I think it is the graders over all opinion of what is acceptable. I know I have a bunch of coins that I never would have graded as high as they are labeled. 

On 12/24/2023 at 8:26 PM, J P M said:

I have many low MS Morgans that have lots of marks and dings. I think it is the graders over all opinion of what is acceptable. I know I have a bunch of coins that I never would have graded as high as they are labeled. 

Wow. Imagine how low Roger would grade them.

Looks like significantly more than rim dings or bag marks, with damage and a crack on the reverse from about 11:00 to 11:30 with a good chunk broken off at 11, which is why it seemed a bit much.

I am surprised with an actual piece of the rim gone that it didn't get a details even though it is heavily circulated. I am wondering if NGC would have dinged it for damage.

If I were actually looking to add one of these to my collection, I would pass on this coin though, just based on the issue it has. And if it was raw, I would most definitely pass on it.

If this coin is that circulated then to me it looks cleaned. Why just a bit of grime in places you can't really clean? Would there not be more grime on other places maybe? My coins are mostly not as old as this but that's the first impression I got. I must be wrong because it's not graded like that. On mine the dirt is a bit more even. Trying to learn a bit more. 

20231024_183155.jpg

20231024_183145.jpg

@edhalbrook--Your inquiry about the 1899-dated Morgan dollar should have been posted as a new topic. The photos, which I recall seeing before, are too blurry even to be sure of the mint mark. The coin's color is a natural one for a circulated silver coin, and it may be neither "cleaned" nor dirty.  Collectors want the original surface of such a coin not one that has been ruined by being "shined up".