• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 d nickel oddity
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I have been unable to find any example of this strike error.  Based on the type of error I fully expected to see other examples, yet nothing found in my searches. This is a 1942 d nlickel.

20231227_111053.thumb.jpg.ec4e85c1c98c0cc807f047254d76c61d.jpg

20231201_151424.jpg

20231227_111036.jpg

20231227_110717- 1.jpg

Edited by Barry_1066

Please supply clear pictures of both sides.
Nearly every error is one of a kind. There are only certain things that can cause an error during the striking    
of the coin so what you have must be similar to one of these.There are no undiscovered errors.

Odd, I attached one photo - I will attach that again.  I will have to take more pictures to have full views of both sides. I see, my phone is using some odd format.  I will have to send to my computer and convert formats.

I also don't see a striking error, just a worn nickel with hits like near the mintmark and the "A" on the reverse, so maybe you could narrow down your question.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:55 PM, Barry_1066 said:

There are clear non damage raised artifacts under the mint mark and under the A.  Also some raised artifact between the A and the building.

Looks like just wear and schmutz in those areas combined with a hit and maybe minor die chips if it's solid and raised.  No added value. 

I won't  argue the point further - I have done this, coin collecting, for 65 years and my dad started the collection in 1930.  We were heads of two coin collecting associations and have seen and identified many anomalies.  this is not "schmutz" and there is a clear part of a number or letter below th mint mark. 

Thank you so much your your opinions, sorry to bother you.

Edited by Barry_1066

Well, there are two varieties recognized for the 1942 D Jefferson Nickel found on the NGC VarietyPlus page, one for D over Horz. D and one for D over D. In both of these varieties, the extra metal is located in very close contact with the mintmark, not separated and below.

I do see something slightly raised below the mintmark, and if anything it would be a very minor die chip and certainly not an error.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:47 PM, Barry_1066 said:

I have done this, coin collecting, for 65 years and my dad started the collection in 1930.  We were heads of two coin collecting associations and have seen and identified many anomalies.

With all due respect, I would think if this is the position you have stated which I have quoted above, you would know this is not some kind of error.

I was not aware that coins are manufactured with dark discolored areas, and therefore these could not be a buildup of dirt or grime, or that slight raised areas of a coin separate and distinct from design elements, with no possible listed RPM or DDR matches, could not be die chips.  I also didn't realize you did not want opinions which might vary from yours which should have been anticipated.  You learn something new every day.  :baiting: (:

If it is a you say an error, please explain to the less informed of us how this could happen during
the striking of the coin. If it is a repunched D by chance, it would be a variety, not an error.   
When you increase the size of a coin by that much, you can see all sorts of worthless anomalies.   
If you can’t see an error at 10X max., then it is insignificant as it would not be noted at a TPG.

I did not ask if this IS an error, I asked about other examples of this specific error.  That this is an error was not the purpose of the post, and I never expected such a hostile response.yes there is dirt to the left of the mm a a bit above, but not below where a clear strike exists.  Yes there is some dirt under the A bun not associated with the strike error.  As I said, I was looking for other examples, since, instead, as a whole, you choose to be dismissive, derisive, and frankly rude, I will leave you to it, and my estimation of your grading service is diminished.

On 12/27/2023 at 4:40 PM, Barry_1066 said:

I did not ask if this IS an error, I asked about other examples of this specific error.  That this is an error was not the purpose of the post, and I never expected such a hostile response.yes there is dirt to the left of the mm a a bit above, but not below where a clear strike exists.  Yes there is some dirt under the A bun not associated with the strike error.  As I said, I was looking for other examples, since, instead, as a whole, you choose to be dismissive, derisive, and frankly rude, I will leave you to it, and my estimation of your grading service is diminished.

I saw this error un aide by any magnifications- which drew my attention.

On 12/27/2023 at 4:40 PM, Barry_1066 said:

I see the coin you have posted has many marks of circulation and wear. The members here do not work for NGC they are seasoned collectors like you, giving their honest opinions. I do see something under the mint mark but I do not think it is a RPM.

Not a RPM it is too large and wrong shape for that as well as placement.  Actually  looks like the numeral 5, the most prominent  part being the top or flag of the 5.and a bit of the belly showing left of the building.

There are other parts I cannot identify associated with A and the building. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I have collected and studied U.S. coins for over fifty years. I don't know everything about coins and never will.  I try to use the knowledge and experience that I do have to give my honest opinion to other collectors, novice or otherwise, on these forums.

I have spent several minutes looking at your photos and am unable to recognize any "strike error" or die variety that would be of a sort that knowledgeable collectors seek and have significant market value. I don't see "a clear part of a number or letter below the mint mark". The raised areas around the mint mark and the letter "A", if present when the coin was struck, appear most likely to be die chips. It may just be that the photos are too blurry and dark for us to see what you see.

If you are unable to post clearer photos, you might want to show the coin in person to knowledgeable collectors or dealers in your area. You might also want to compare the coin to the types of mint errors catalogued on error-ref.com. (I checked the Variety Vista and doubleddie.com sites, as well as NGC VarietyPlus and PCGS Coinfacts, and they do not list a die variety for the 1942-D nickel that bears any resemblance to your coin.)

On 12/24/2023 at 1:29 PM, Barry_1066 said:

I have been unable to find any example of this strike error.  Based on the type of error I fully expected to see other examples, yet nothing found in my searches.

I think where you are feeling "attitude" is in the fact that you refer to this right off the bat as a strike error and were asking of other examples of it (as a strike error). Your responses are stemming from the fact that what you are seeing is not a strike error. Universally (and I have to continue to post this in these pages) DDO, DDR, RPM, RPD (and I will add die chips) are NOT an error. They are varieties. The fact that your post led off with the above captioned is what started the responses.

As I stated in my first response, I do see something below the mintmark, which I believe to be a die chip feature which is not an error.

When it comes to such things (die chips), you usually will not find other examples as either the die chip falls out of the striking chamber, or the die chip becomes imparted into the next struck coin known as a Retained Die Break which is a mint error. In the case of your coin, the die chip left an impression in the face of the die which metal flowed into on the subsequent strike creating the raised area you see on your coin. While there may be several other coins struck with the same feature, for a coin with a mintage of 13,938,000 it would be difficult if not impossible to find another example with such a minor feature as it would not take too long for a mint employee to stop the press and repair or change out the damaged die.

Since you seemed to feel that we represent NGC, we do not. We are volunteer collectors and are giving our opinions on a posted topic, nothing more. However, there are some of the most knowledgeable collectors with an estimated over 300 years experience and also some experts and authors in the numismatic field right here in this forum. Some of us deliver our opinions "differently" from others as you have seen. As with anything, you are dealing with people and each person has their own personality (and some don't deliver their opines as well as others) as is in real life. My initial response was because you stated you had a position of identifying anomalies, and with your length of experience, I was wondering why the word error was even used at all in this thread.

First problem: the photos are completely loaded with JPG artifacts due to excessive magnification. Oh, by the way, I have 61 years numismatic experience and over 50 years experience in photography. 

Edited by VKurtB