• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First & Last Mintage Coins / Post your series starts and stops here!
2 2

21 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 12:24 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

The 32 Quarter is for my circulated type set...don't judge me...lol I submitted it exactly for that reason and it graded exactly as I thought AU 

Judge you?  I must be asleep at the switch! You mean the eagle is gone, and I hadn't noticed in 25 years?  Rip Van Winkle here. Maybe z is right; I should get out more. 🤣

IMG_9942.jpeg.495a41b9ca68d456d670184a6d14621c.jpeg

Here are two coins from the early 20th century, a time when the Philippines was a territory of the United States.

The coin on the top is the first in the series of United States-Philippines (USPI) peso coins. It is 38 mm in diameter and is 90% silver. Minted in Philadelphia, it was placed into circulation on 23 July 1903. 

The bottom coin is the last of the series. It was minted at the San Francisco Mint in 1912. The size of coins in this series were reduced to 35 mm in 1907, and their silver content lowered to 80%. This was because of a global silver crisis in 1905 that caused the coin’s silver value to exceed its monetary value.

There had been a steady decline in the minting of these USPI one peso coins since 1909, leading to the eventual cessation of its production in 1912.