• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 nickel
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

What is going on here?

For one thing, you're posting it in someone else's thread, when the preferred practice is to start a new one. Otherwise people responding have to figure out what a given post is talking about, which is a pain, so many of us will just ignore it.

On 12/21/2023 at 5:23 PM, JKK said:

For one thing, you're posting it in someone else's thread, when the preferred practice is to start a new one. Otherwise people responding have to figure out what a given post is talking about, which is a pain, so many of us will just ignore it.

Thanks for the clarification, my apologies.

On 12/24/2023 at 12:44 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Thanks for the clarification, my apologies.

No problem. It's one of those situations that requires rotating the chessboard, so to speak. If the OP keeps adding coins to the thread (which they ought not to be doing), that's one thing; at least any replies are to one of their coins. Far as I am concerned, if they get confused and have no idea which one we're talking about, that's excellent because it'll teach them why we tell them to post one coin per thread. But when a second poster comes in, now it's not even clear to whom replies are.

We do get that people hesitate to start new threads because threadspamming is a major faux pas on some forums, and that using an existing thread is normally considered a good thing in other places. On top of that, if they have fifteen coins, there's the natural question: "You really want me to post fifteen threads? You won't get mad?" It's a fair question. The answer is yeah, we really do want them to, but I can see why people feel a little nervous about that. On some forums that would get one's butt thrown right off there--but not here. (It being almost impossible to get one's butt thrown off this one, which has made it a great haven for some huge dill doughs, but that's another topic.)