• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60d Cent Large/Small?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

My eyes are not enough to differentiate the 1960 LG/sm.  I think these two may be small date. What little evidence I can scrape up is based on the 1 level with the 9 and the 0 not being as wide as other 60d's.  Fortunately, I have this select group of crackerjack coin experts to trample upon my field of dreams and bring me crashing down to earth.

image.thumb.png.cb86a90e58eb1eb6c374a571819a6198.png

image.thumb.png.74be94022c8f31b137d83a56378e6eb5.png

60d.A-OO.jpg

60d.B-OO.jpg

The top is a Large Date. The bottom is a Large Date that is too damaged to matter anyway.

Back in 1960 these were a "big deal" among coin collectors. East coast Elem and Jr High kids would buy rolls of new cents at banks, pick out the two date sizes and resell the solid roles to West coast mail-order coin dealers. (In one of his many books, Q. David Bowers mentions buying coins in the eastern US and reselling them in quantity to western coin dealers in the 1950s. At that time there was significant profit to be made in geographic flipping.)

On 12/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, RWB said:

... buy rolls of new cents at banks, pick out the two date sizes and resell the solid roles to West coast mail-order coin dealers. 

Hmmm, what "roles" were they selling, perhaps actors pretending to be coin collectors? :baiting: (:

On 12/20/2023 at 5:18 PM, EagleRJO said:

Hmmm, what "roles" were they selling, perhaps actors pretending to be coin collectors? :baiting: (:

These were the hand picked Hollywood roles. There were also dinner biscuits and butter biscuits. Other west coast types just got rolls for their Rolls. ;)