• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you suppose happened here?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I see the scratches that sort of make an X and the damage is near the intersection of those scratches. It looks like a drill job but to me looks like the bit was already worn out when they started and they were moving the drill back and forth, to and fro, because the imprint is not really a nice circle that a good bit with a steady hand would make. It looks a little oblong like the drill was rocking back and forth. Probably supposed to be holed for a necklace or something and maybe the bit actually broke leaving that one last piece of metal in the hole at about 2 o'clock.

On 12/19/2023 at 2:57 PM, powermad5000 said:

I see the scratches that sort of make an X and the damage is near the intersection of those scratches. It looks like a drill job but to me looks like the bit was already worn out when they started and they were moving the drill back and forth, to and fro, because the imprint is not really a nice circle that a good bit with a steady hand would make. It looks a little oblong like the drill was rocking back and forth. Probably supposed to be holed for a necklace or something and maybe the bit actually broke leaving that one last piece of metal in the hole at about 2 o'clock.

I’ll bet you’re right. In 1929 the cent was way more valuable than today and someone decided to make a memento gone wrong.💥

On 12/19/2023 at 2:00 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I’ll bet you’re right. In 1929 the cent was way more valuable than today and someone decided to make a memento gone wrong.💥

Maybe he was celebrating how great his stocks were doing,.. in summer.