• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 US Mint uncirculated set
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, yes the bottom two fingers do seem odd.   This could be due to die chips, insufficient metal flow (perhaps due to a partial die fill) and another slightly less likely possibility is reflection interference from the mint plastic packaging.    

There is also damage to the rim of this coin in 4 spots. What appears to be heavy rim dings would cause this quarter to be graded AU Details Rim Damage. This condition cancels any possible added value if the coin is in fact a strike through error. The condition of a coin is still important when an error or variety coin is involved. Some errors are valuable on a coin in any condition, but these errors are very uncommon ones. Strike through errors are not rare and quite common. These coins are sought after by some collectors. More dramatic strike through errors such as those that are struck through foreign objects are the most desirable of the "strike through" errors. Your coin is worth face value. 

On 12/17/2023 at 4:58 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

There is also damage to the rim of this coin in 4 spots. What appears to be heavy rim dings would cause this quarter to be graded AU Details Rim Damage.

2022 "mint" sets all have four crimped spots in the plastic around each coin that make it appear that the coins themselves have edge damage. You have to look closely to realize that the coins themselves are usually unaffected. There were many complaints about this last year. Fortunately, the 2023 sets don't have these crimps.

The OP previously posted this same question and photo in the NGC Registry forum, and I advised her that such questions should be posted here My answer there follows:

Based on your photo, which I viewed at its maximum magnification, I assume that you are referring to the shiny outlines around the fingers of Otero-Warren's clasped hands. I observed the same shiny outlines on both the "P" and "D" mint coins in my own 2022 "mint set". It appears to be just the reflection of light from these more highly polished areas of the dies, which would be raised on the dies rather than recessed as on the coins struck from them. This would not be considered an "error" or, more correctly for a characteristic of all coins struck from a given die pair, a die variety. See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you're seeing some other characteristic of the coin that you believe to be out of the ordinary, please provide better photos.

On 12/17/2023 at 3:58 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

There is also damage to the rim of this coin in 4 spots. What appears to be heavy rim dings would cause this quarter to be graded AU Details Rim Damage. This condition cancels any possible added value if the coin is in fact a strike through error. The condition of a coin is still important when an error or variety coin is involved. Some errors are valuable on a coin in any condition, but these errors are very uncommon ones. Strike through errors are not rare and quite common. These coins are sought after by some collectors. More dramatic strike through errors such as those that are struck through foreign objects are the most desirable of the "strike through" errors. Your coin is worth face value. 

Check what Sandon said on this thread. He is correct. Last year, several writers to NN reported damaged coins in their uncirculated sets. M-o-r-o-n-s.

If there is no "Coin Union" can there be a "Strike Through" ?

I've overheard some "big name" coin sellers refer to this stuff as "gullibies" to include "privy marks" and other trash.

On 12/18/2023 at 3:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Check what Sandon said on this thread. He is correct. Last year, several writers to NN reported damaged coins in their uncirculated sets. M-o-r-o-n-s.

Ok. Some of us aren't experienced. 🙄

Fingers look about the same comparing that to an example from Coinfacts on the right, even thoigh they are a little like sausage fingers.  That possibly combined with reflection off the packaging may be giving it the "off" appearance noted.

Screenshot_20231219-022406_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

@l.cutler is correct. The problem with the 2022 sets was the four little crimp “fingers” on each coin’s edge. That caused two sets of m-o-r-o-n-s. 1) the guys who decided to put those fingers on the capsules, and 2) the collectors who thought that each and every coin in their sets was damaged. How could that possibly be? I saw it too when my sets arrived from the Mint, but I knew instinctively that it HAD TO BE the packaging. What are the chances that 20 coins of six different sizes would be damaged in the precise same way? People need to THINK! Or has that been repealed in this country?

On 12/18/2023 at 3:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Some of us do think. That's why we ask questions. The fingers do look odd. I have uncirculated mint sets that came scratched and damaged. It is what it is. Don't be so hard on people. Everyone has money problems and yes, we're looking for a miracle. Hey, have a wonderful day. 

On 12/19/2023 at 10:57 AM, Mellogrrl65 said:

Some of us do think. That's why we ask questions. The fingers do look odd. I have uncirculated mint sets that came scratched and damaged. It is what it is. Don't be so hard on people. Everyone has money problems and yes, we're looking for a miracle. Hey, have a wonderful day. 

I don’t respect “treasure hunters” looking for “miracles” to alleviate “money problems”. The fingers on the hands are a legit question. They were not rendered well. The “little tiny fingers” on each and every plastic holder, that have nothing to do with the rendering of the fingers, was just way too stupid. 

You ARE wasting your valuable time looking for miracles. Better you should get a job or expand your education than search uncirculated sets. But…. recent year uncirculated sets do contain some fantastic quality coins. Seek perfection, and NOT imperfection. 

On 12/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, VKurtB said:

You ARE wasting your valuable time looking for miracles. Better you should get a job or expand your education than search uncirculated sets. But…. recent year uncirculated sets do contain some fantastic quality coins. Seek perfection, and NOT imperfection. 

You don't know a thing about me and you're being bitterly judgemental. No need to be belligerent. I don't sit all day looking for miracles. I hope Santa brings you some books on how to be respectful. Hope someone gives you a hug, you sound like you need it. 🦋♥️🫂

On 12/19/2023 at 11:57 AM, Mellogrrl65 said:

Keep asking questions. Most members here will try to help. (I agree that the fingers look disproportionate - but that is consistent with the Mint's current sloppy manufacturing/creative partnership.)

[Experienced coin collectors on this type of forum can also become frustrated with the current deluge of people promoting false errors, and damaged coins as valuable collector's pieces, along with their persistent make-a-buck attitude. We hear from a lot of people who will not listen to truthful replies, and insist they are correct while also claiming to be "new collectors." A few members here and elsewhere have developed an angry, dismissive attitude --- as you've unfortunately experienced, ]

RWB

On 12/19/2023 at 11:15 AM, Mellogrrl65 said:

You don't know a thing about me and you're being bitterly judgemental. No need to be belligerent. I don't sit all day looking for miracles. I hope Santa brings you some books on how to be respectful. Hope someone gives you a hug, you sound like you need it. 🦋♥️🫂

I don’t need books on being respectful. You need them on being realistic. 

For the OP, I do know one other member on here who posted their proof set arrived directly from the Mint very damaged. He was able to return the set for another one, but it is more evidence of a lack of care lately of the Mint regarding many of their current practices. I also remember another post on the cheap packaging being currently used. It seems the quality of products being produced by the Mint currently are suffering from a cheapness not ever before seen by the collectors who buy these products.

Btw, welcome to the forum and please continue to ask questions as there are some extremely knowledgeable people in the field here. While some may be gruff, that does not apply to all here. Have a great holiday!