• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint mark error indentification
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Please note that the "NGC Registry" forum is for topics related to the NGC Registry. Topics such as this one will receive better attention if posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World and Ancient Coins forum. You should also post photos of both sides of a coin about which you have a question. (I'll explain why that is especially true for the coin you posted here.)

Actual filled mintmarks may result from die chips, foreign matter on the die, or worn mintmark punches.  They are generally worth little or no premium. A coin may also appear to have a filled mintmark due to damage or wear. The Morgan dollar whose reverse photo you posted has been harshly "cleaned" as well as circulated, which may have affected the appearance of the mintmark.  Based on the "oval O" mintmark style, its date should be from 1879 to 1884 or possibly 1888 or 1889. Photos of the obverse or at least identification of the date would help in determining whether it is a known die variety listed in the VAM reference that had a filled mintmark. 

On 12/17/2023 at 8:15 AM, Sandon said:

Please note that the "NGC Registry" forum is for topics related to the NGC Registry. Topics such as this one will receive better attention if posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World and Ancient Coins forum. You should also post photos of both sides of a coin about which you have a question. (I'll explain why that is especially true for the coin you posted here.)

Actual filled mintmarks may result from die chips, foreign matter on the die, or worn mintmark punches.  They are generally worth little or no premium. A coin may also appear to have a filled mintmark due to damage or wear. The Morgan dollar whose reverse photo you posted has been harshly "cleaned" as well as circulated, which may have affected the appearance of the mintmark.  Based on the "oval O" mintmark style, its date should be from 1879 to 1884 or possibly 1888 or 1889. Photos of the obverse or at least identification of the date would help in determining whether it is a known die variety listed in the VAM reference that had a filled mintmark. 

I did list it under the newbie platform and when I tried to upload the front and back and the close up it wouldn't let me. Said to much data. But the mint mark on this coin appears to have alot more material than my other ones of the same date and mint. Thank you for your help and I will learn how to send more than a couple pictures. Thank you

You would need to post a focused cropped photo of the obverse (front) as well as another focused enlargement of the mintmark as it is hard to tell if that's a "filled" Morgan "O" mintmark from a die chip or a Morgan "narrow slit O" mintmark that just took a hit.

I seem to see remnants of the narrow slit mintmark which might indicate just a hit that mashed that down, but it gets out of focus when I zoom in.