• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury dimes (winged libertys)
1 1

5 posts in this topic

If the 1916 had a D on the reverse, that would be worth several hundred dollars even in that condition, but yours is the more common 1916 (P) [The (P) means it was struck at the Philadelphia Mint and there is no mintmark on the coin itself but typically collectors refer to them as a (P)] and you might be able to get $3-5 for it.

Is the one on the right a 1921? If so, a 1921 (P) in G-4 is listed in the price guide for $60 due to its lower mintage of 1,230,000 which was a lower mintage throughout the series. However, it has been harshly cleaned and that would further reduce its numismatic value. If it is a 1921 (P) in that condition, I would think you would get between $10-20 in that condition.

The 1931 (P) is a considered a common coin in the series and is worth its basic melt value or roughly $2, whichever someone is willing to pay for it.

As others have said, worth more than face value because they were struck in silver during this time.  But value wise, not very much.  You will get just below melt value so expect if you are selling to not net more than a few dollars for all three.  Hope that helps.  

I would grade the 1931 a solid "Good", with a retail value of $3 per the NGC Price Guide, although a dealer probably wouldn't pay more than the silver value, currently $1.75 or so.

The 1916 only grades About Good. I was surprised to see that it lists $6 in this grade on the NGC Price Guide, though lower elsewhere.  I doubt that you could get more than $2 for it.

The 1921 is a semi-key date.  It only grades Fair to About Good and has been "cleaned". Although NGC lists an unimpaired coin grading from Poor to About Good at $40, I think that $10 or so would be a fair dealer buy price if the dealer is willing to buy one in that low a grade.