• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Columbus worth grading or is it terminal and not worth it?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2023 at 1:13 AM, Just Bob said:

Here is the thread

It is hard to follow with all of the off topic posts

Thanks for the link.  Cross talk aside, it was interesting.  I see QA/HC hasn't changed much. (:

I would not have thought that toning damage could present in such a regular linear pattern as shown in the initial post, and that seemed to throw off a lot of people.  Other images of the toning damage seemed more like what you would expect.

I was also surprised at the reference to the bright rainbow colored toning that some pay vast sums of money for as "terminal toning". 

On 12/15/2023 at 7:44 AM, EagleRJO said:

I was also surprised at the reference to the bright rainbow colored toning that some pay vast sums of money for as "terminal toning". 

Only that part which has gone past glossy black to dull black. On an album tone coined for example, that color is usually near the rim, since toning starts there and progresses toward the center of the coin. Do you have a picture of Sunnywood's toning progression scale? It explains color progression very well.

To the OP: sorry about getting your thread off topic. It just seemed like a good place to post some information that might be helpful to newbies who read this thread down the road.

On 12/15/2023 at 9:03 AM, Just Bob said:

Only that part which has gone past glossy black to dull black. On an album tone coined for example, that color is usually near the rim, since toning starts there and progresses toward the center of the coin. Do you have a picture of Sunnywood's toning progression scale? It explains color progression very well.

To the OP: sorry about getting your thread off topic. It just seemed like a good place to post some information that might be helpful to newbies who read this thread down the road.

I don't think you are off topic when discussing toning seeing he asked if it was terminal. That term would indicate a toning question in my book.  

On 12/16/2023 at 6:06 PM, ldhair said:

Image_1227.JPG

Image_1229.JPG

If that is Larry's coin, it's a sweetie! The Isabella quarter was originally MUCH less popular than the Columbus halves. Lesson: Never judge ANY coin's future by its initial popularity.