• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kennedy Half Dollars, 1964-Date, Silver Issues, Complete Questions?

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am working on this set. Basically silver Kennedys. But there are some rando listings in the group. I tried looking them up and can't find why these are different. Can someone point/say what/why they are considered a different listing? Thank you!!!

image.png.11c0e211032fedfc306edee3c8792e03.png

image.png.3e4123ea41f7a9f36d2581108ec1ab72.png

image.png.d96caf1dd42d29e5a1e616ba88ec3856.png

Welcome back!  Haven't the foggiest where you've been or had been quiet for so long, but welcome back!

It would appear to me this type of dilemma would qualify for forwarding to the knowledgeable staff member whose principal duty appears to be tackling questions of this type -- unless someone here has a conclusive explanation.

If none is forthcoming, you may want to direct your interesting query to the Forum "Ask NGC/NCS."  It is my belief a question such as yours would be right up their alley.  As a fellow member, I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Clarification

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

The "Redbook" mentions all of these issues, but I'll try to explain them in more detail.  

The 1976-S 40% silver proof Bicentennial Kennedy half dollar was issued in the three-coin silver proof sets that also contained similar Bicentennial quarters and half dollars. They are quite common, as the mint sold nearly 4 million of these sets. (There were also an uncirculated 40% silver version from similar uncirculated three-coin sets with over 4.9 million sets sold.)

In 2014, the fiftieth anniversary of the Kennedy half dollar, the mint created new master dies for Kennedy half dollars that more closely resembled the original, higher relief design used in 1964-70.  (Over the years, the dies had been modified on a number of occasions, with coins dated 1997-2014 being in especially lower relief.)  The low relief dies were used to strike the regular 2014-P and D coins that were sold in rolls and bags and the "S" mint proofs that were included in regular clad and silver proof sets.  The mint issued two special sets containing coins struck from the "high relief" dies, a two-coin set containing uncirculated "P" and "D" regular copper-nickel clad versions (197,608 sets reported sold), and a four-piece .900 silver set (219,173 sets reported sold) containing four coins each with different finishes, "P" (regular deep cameo proof), "D" (uncirculated, apparently designated "Specimen" by NGC), "S" (enhanced uncirculated), and "W" (reverse proof). 

The 2018-S silver reverse proof half dollar is from the ten-piece silver reverse proof set issued that year, with a reported distribution of 199,116 sets.

All of these coins should be obtainable either as parts of their original sets or as certified coins if that is what you prefer.

Edited by Sandon

Awesome! Thank you everyone for the details!

And just FYI, I am trying to get them at PF 70 UC graded by NGC. I know some of the slots are going to be pretty rare and expensive to get, but I've been able to pick a decent number of year so far.

Thank you!

On 12/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, aa0154 said:

Hello everyone!

I am working on this set. Basically silver Kennedys. But there are some rando listings in the group. I tried looking them up and can't find why these are different. Can someone point/say what/why they are considered a different listing? Thank you!!!

image.png.11c0e211032fedfc306edee3c8792e03.png

image.png.3e4123ea41f7a9f36d2581108ec1ab72.png

image.png.d96caf1dd42d29e5a1e616ba88ec3856.png

You're forgetting EVERY Silver (90%) Kennedy PROOF from 1992-2019(?) and the .999 silver since then, plus the PROOF and non-PROOF (40%) from 1965-1970. The only years without silver Kennedy halves were 1971-1974 and 1977-1991.

Edited by VKurtB