• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anatomy of Coins
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2023 at 3:45 AM, powermad5000 said:

Can we then say it is definitive that they are cotton blossoms and not cotton bols?

There is some disagreement on that, and @RWB and others may basically be technically correct that it is "cotton bols" [which is also how it is referred to in the ANA Grading Standards].  But the term "cotton blossoms" for Morgans is one that is still generally accepted and used by the TPG's as well as on reputable sites like VAM World.

Edited by EagleRJO

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/Home

While the following sites do not particularly provide the atomic level of information as in your example, I thought that it may be useful to provide links to other sources for coin information, particularly for die varieties.

Dave's Bust Half Dollar
http://maibockaddict.com/

Seated Liberty Half Dollars
http://www.lsccweb.org/BillBugertBooks/Bugert-Vol-I-SF.pdf

Seated Liberty Dimes
https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/

Newman Numismatic Portal (all coins)
https://nnp.wustl.edu/encyclopedia/catalog?catalogId=1

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts (all coins, to display a particular coin w/wo die variety, I enter the coin in google, then click on the appropriate PCGS link).

Of course, https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/ (all coins)

Edited by dprince1138

On 12/9/2023 at 5:13 AM, dprince1138 said:

While the following sites do not particularly provide the atomic level of information as in your example, I thought that it may be useful to provide links to other sources for coin information, particularly for die varieties.

No I don't need and didn't ask for die variety information since I clearly requested other labeled diagrams of coins.  Please stop trying to indirectly plug your Etsy/eBay shady raw coin variety flipping.with counterfeits and misattributed coins by posting variety links to give the appearance you know what you are doing when you don't.

On 12/9/2023 at 11:02 PM, Sandon said:

Actually, they're cotton bolls ... I'll give a "nickle" to anyone who proves me wrong about the spelling!   

I think your right, plus I don't have any "nickles". (:

On 12/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, Sandon said:

I'll give a "nickle" to anyone who proves me wrong about the spelling!   

You're right. It was me typing too fast and up too late on these boards at 3:30 am when I should have been in bed sleeping and I left off the second L. Mea culpa.

It's been a hell of a week trying to balance everything from four doctors appointments, a broken computer and resulting new computer (which turned into a 150 mile drive), a dentist appointment, a broken toilet, a third redo (and hopefully last) of a leaking shower escutcheon, assembling a full size arcade game, putting up the rest of the Christmas decorations, finishing the rest of the Christmas cards and getting them all out, winterizing the mower, finishing bills, laundry, and dishes, doing monthly shopping at the grocery store, oh and did I mention fixing the furnace flame sensor, and spending time on the phone making an appointment for new equipment before AT&T shuts my service down because they switched the neighborhood over to fiber?

On 12/9/2023 at 9:25 PM, VKurtB said:

Well you could have knocked me over with a Right Inner Feather.

Why is that?  Do you think it should have been "Right Facing Inner Feather" to be more technically correct?

I suppose at the stage where the cotton plant is in bloom, as depicted on the Morgan dollar, "cotton blossoms" is a more correct term.

Not so simple.  My understanding is that the "cotton blossom" is the inner part of the white cotton flower when it first blooms, which does not look anything like what is depicted on the Morgan dollar.  Once the flower self-pollinates the blossom dries up and falls off leaving the "cotton bolls" which is depicted on the Morgan dollar.  Also the ANA grading standards refer to what is depicted on the Morgan dollar as "cotton bolls".

However, collectors, the TPGs and sites like VAM World have used  "cotton blossom" to describe what is depicted on the Morgan dollar so that just stuck and what is commonly used to identify that part of the coin, so I would tend to just go with that.

See the attached photo of a cotton plant showing: (1) a white cotton flower with the inner cotton blossom after the plant first blooms at the top right; (2) an immature cotton bolls after the flower has self-pollinated and the blossom has dried up and fallen off at the top left; and (3) mature brown and while cotton bolls at the bottom, with the bolls on the left looking like what is depicted on the Morgan dollar.

Cotton Plant.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Actually, they're cotton bolls, a dictionary definition of "boll" being "[t]he rounded seed pod or capsule of certain plants, such as flax or cotton." American Heritage Dictionary (1973) at 148.  I suppose at the stage where the cotton plant is in bloom, as depicted on the Morgan dollar, "cotton blossoms" is a more correct term.

I'll give a "nickle" to anyone who proves me wrong about the spelling!   

Ha! Would that be a blast white nickel or a toned one?

as depicted on the Morgan dollar, "cotton blossoms" is a more correct term ... I'll give a "nickle" to anyone who proves me wrong about the spelling!

Technically it's not spelled "blossom" as it is spelled "bolls", so I want my "nickle". 

The issue was the spelling of "bolls", not whether "bolls" or "blossoms" is the correct term. What is depicted on the Morgan dollar doesn't appear to match either the cotton blossom or the boll. I don't know whether George T. Morgan, who had immigrated from England, had ever seen live cotton plants or what botanical guide he had used.

I actually don't have a "nickle", notwithstanding that a member of my coin club insists on spelling the word "nickel" that way.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:33 AM, Sandon said:

The issue was the spelling of "bolls", not whether "bolls" or "blossoms" is the correct term.

How did I know you were going to say that. (:

I actually don't have a "nickle", notwithstanding that a member of my coin club insists on spelling the word "nickel" that way.

That must grind your gears.  :whistle:

What is depicted on the Morgan dollar doesn't appear to match either the cotton blossom or the boll

It changes fast, but at one particular point what is depicted on the Morgan actually does kind of look like a cotton bolls, but maybe not exactly.  See the attached comparison.

Morgan Bolls.jpg