• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cornucopia of Questions unrelated to each other. . . 2
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Firstly, this coin is an example only because of the haze, it is not worth grading and my intention is not to grade this coin.  Absent a coin that would merit grading that has the same haze appearance, my question is how much would this unfortunate haze impact the grading.  I doubt it would get to 68, but I am curious.

image.thumb.png.6d22d3f55edada9ad5340cf054517d8e.png

There is no chance it could get anywhere near 68 with this much cloudiness. I'm not feeling like digging out my grading guide, but I think PR-61 is more probable. As I recall, even to get much above 63 the luster needs not to be badly impaired.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:18 AM, cobymordet said:

Firstly, this coin is an example only because of the haze, it is not worth grading and my intention is not to grade this coin.  

You should be grading the coin yourself regardless of if you intend to submit it to a TPG with references such as the attached.

ANA Grading Standards.jpg

2131202642_OfficialGuidetoCoinGradingandCounterfeitDetection.jpg.5159925831d4e056272a4631347a970f.jpg

The haze would severely limit the grade as it is seen as surface degradation, and grading is all about the condition of the surface of the coin. I also would put this at the low end of the PF scale.

However, this coin would be a candidate for NCS conservation. If I am not mistaken, they cant get milk spots off, but they can remove an even haze. You could check their website to make sure, but I recall seeing a China Panda proof with more haze than this getting conserved and grading very high. Something to think about.