• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959-D penny RPM-017 Tilted
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Okay, I hope I studied this the best I can. Condition is a little better, but getting there the best I can. I'm pretty sure I might have a match.  By studying the markers for this variety I have the die chips on column 11&12. I tryed looking for other markers but can't tell for sure. Thanks 

20231207_143215.jpg

20231207_142735.jpg

20231207_142807.jpg

I believe that your penny is a differebt RPM than RPM-017

The "D" on your coin is positioned more to the right, seems to have a slightly more tilt and column 20 seems to have a significant die crack.

1959RPM.png

Edited by dprince1138

On 12/7/2023 at 5:02 PM, Hinkle said:

I'm pretty sure I might have a match ... 1959-D penny RPM-017 Tilted

Sorry, it's not a match with the Variety Vista RPM-017 as the mintmark on your coin is in the wrong position (too high and to the right), and does not appear to match any of the 22 RPMs listed on Variety Vista for a 1959-D 1C (RPM-001 TO RPM-022).

There are also 145 RPMs listed on Wexler's for a 1959-D 1C (WRPM-001 to WRPM-145} with detailed descriptions and die markers if you really want to torture yourself, but I'm not convinced it actually is an RPM but you have the coin in-hand.

Very interesting.  I could build a search engine, in which multlple match consideratiions can be selected, for example; Using check boxes or drop downs, selecting "cracked", "column twelve",  "tilted "D"".   Also, perhaps implementing the google image matching object

The search engine could combine the different variety sources, as well as an option provided to search a selected source. 

It would not be difficult to build.

Doing a brief search on Column twelve with a die crack located WRPM-058 as a possible match.

I could distribute the search engine as a stand alone executable or as an install app (wider object platform).

I have been looking at Variety Vista for about fifteen minutes now and toggling back and forth between that and your coin, and I am not sure there is even an RPM here. Regardless of any of the possible markers, I keep going back to your coin and say to myself, "Where are the remnants of the other D?"  When I stare at yours, I don't see even the most faint remnant.

Hopefully you are not developing pareidolia by searching so many coins for minor varieties.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:58 AM, powermad5000 said:

I keep going back to your coin and say to myself, "Where are the remnants of the other D?"  When I stare at yours, I don't see even the most faint remnant.

I think he needs to put the bag of cents down and slowly step away from the table, and keep those hands in plain sight so we know you didn't grab some more cents to look at.  :baiting: (:

On 12/7/2023 at 2:02 PM, Hinkle said:

Okay, I hope I studied this the best I can. Condition is a little better, but getting there the best I can. I'm pretty sure I might have a match.  By studying the markers for this variety I have the die chips on column 11&12. I tryed looking for other markers but can't tell for sure. Thanks 

20231207_143215.jpg

20231207_142735.jpg

20231207_142807.jpg

What are you using to see your coins and what are you using to take the great photos with?

On 12/9/2023 at 9:49 PM, edhalbrook said:

What are you using to see your coins and what are you using to take the great photos with?

A 10x magnifying glass with built-in LED lights.  I use it so much I am on my 2nd one.  I have a 40x loupe and scope but I only use them for counterfeit detection and variety attribution confirmations.  See this article ...

https://www.pcgs.com/news/tools-of-a-professional-coin-grader

For photos I just use my phone, but I keep it close and directly above the coin and rest my hand on something.