• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a possible error or post mint damage?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

A die chip as Greenstang stated is shown on your coin. This occurs when one or both of the dies or "stamps" used to mint the coin have small chips and erosions on them. These areas of the damaged die can create bulbous, blob or chip looking type raised areas on the final minted coin. As stated prior very common and usually not valuable to serious collectors. 

I swear....I've seen more people ask about errors and other valuable anomalies in the last 6 months than I did the last 10 years.

What's going on ?  Is some influence saying he or she is getting rich with pocket change ?

On 12/4/2023 at 12:03 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I swear....I've seen more people ask about errors and other valuable anomalies in the last 6 months than I did the last 10 years.

What's going on ?  Is some influence saying he or she is getting rich with pocket change ?

Yes people hear the word error and they go mind blind. They then see any little thing on a coin and think it must be a valuable coin. They of course have no idea what they are even looking for so it becomes a rabbit hole for most lazy get rich quick personality types. I don't throw ropes down the hole I throw books that they can read and stack up to get out.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 12/4/2023 at 3:08 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Yes people hear the word error and they go mind blind. They then see any little thing on a coin and think it must be a valuable coin. They of course have no idea what they are even looking for so it becomes a rabbit hole for most lazy get rich quick personality types. I don't throw ropes down the hole I throw books that they can read and stack up to get out.

Admirable commentary in regards to a post made seeking advice from an experienced coin collector about a coin of mine. This board is listed as a resource to post, ask, reply and learn. Even more so, this forum specifies, and is self explanatory, “NEWBIE COIN COLLECTING QUESTIONS” With all that coin knowledge and experience you possess, you’ve yet to developer your personal character.  A Newbie in that area, I wouldn’t throw you a rope.

There are a lot of erroneous videos regarding coin collecting posted on social media and some OP's have even admitted on this forum to viewing them and then asking a question about a coin they possess. I am not saying that is the case in this thread, but there has been a general observance of this phenomenon in this forum.

Although not common on these silver 1964 Roosevelt dimes, I do see evidence of die chip anomalies on this specimen. These would not qualify as a mint error by any TPG.