• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D error penny
1 1

65 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2023 at 9:03 AM, Fitzon00 said:

What’s more fat fetched a random two or a penny being made on a completely different metal??!!?

Actually, the random number theory is more far-fetched. Do some studying about how coins and dies were and are made, and you will understand why.

Start with this article: How dies are made

I agree that the random 2 is most  definitley far- fetched. 
It seems to me that you are not going to believe what members with many years of experience are going to tell you so I suggest you send it off to a TPG for verification. List it under a Variety because there is no way it can be an error.

I get crazy reading threads like these. Some people apparently think there are random number punches lying around in a die shop somewhere. IT DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY!

IMG_2998.jpeg

On 12/11/2023 at 3:12 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Immaculate Inscription. 

In the absence of specific knowledge, imagination fills in the blanks. It’s “Star Trek” thinking. “If I can imagine something, it’s true.” Ever notice how frequently stars pass by Star Trek windows? It’s insane, and impossible. Even traveling at the speed of light, a star might pass by every year or so, probably far longer. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/11/2023 at 10:03 AM, Fitzon00 said:

I’d actually believe it instead of taking new pictures everyday like everyone is telling me to. I’m not hating I do appreciate it but like penny’s get made on dime planchets. What’s more fat fetched a random two or a penny being made on a completely different metal??!!?

Actually a wrong planchet error does make more sense because it has happened before and might happen again where someone feeds the wrong planchets into a coining machine.  But a random "2" on that coin just appearing out of nowhere where an overdate from a previous or upcoming year just couldn't happen makes it where you just can't wrap your head around that being a legitimate possibility.

Have you picked up the coin and examined it with a 10x loupe or mag glass yet as recommended to see if you still see a "2" to the right of the mintmark and under the "5".  I think that will solve the mystery of if it's pareidolia or monkey business of someone trying to create an overdate error after it left the mint. 

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/11/2023 at 9:03 AM, Fitzon00 said:

What’s more fat fetched a random two or a penny being made on a completely different metal??!!?

A random 2. There are documented cases of denominations being struck on a completely different planchet. There are no documented cases I know of where a digit was added to a die faintly, significantly out of place, and not even one of the digits used for that strike, and only one coin was struck that way. As @Coinbuf stated, if it were the case, there would be many coins struck with the defect, not just one.

I am not trying to be mean, but it is just something I don't see happening in the minting process even under tomfoolery circumstances which is why I am highly skeptical of its origin.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:26 PM, VKurtB said:

In the absence of specific knowledge, imagination fills in the blanks.

As well as unfounded optimism and motive.

It’s “Star Trek” thinking. “If I can imagine something, it’s true.” Ever notice how frequently stars pass by Star Trek windows? It’s insane, and impossible. Even traveling at the speed of light, a star might pass by every year or so, probably far longer. 

According to my handy dandy Star Trek warp speed calculator, at warp 7.15 you can travel one light-year in 24hrs. So, one a day? I have a feeling @GoldFinger1969 may have something to say about this. ;)

image.thumb.png.8f145c6655621cd23f434819c601b7d4.png

To the author--I can't see much about your 1955-S cent--which would have been better posted as a new topic--from the blurry photos provided, but the raised area to the right of the mintmark that you interpret as a numeral "2" is most likely the result of die chips--small pieces that fell out of the die that left depressions that appear as raised areas on the struck coins--which are very common on coins of this period. Some of these chips appeared to form a letter "I" between the "B" and "E" of "LIBERTY", which at one time resulted in a fad of collecting the resulting "BIE" cents, as described in the following topic I posted last year:

These anomalies never had much value and are rarely collected today. If you still think it that a numeral "2" was punched into the coin but can't post better photos, I recommend that you show the coin to established dealers and experienced collectors at a coin show, coin shop, or coin club meeting in your area.

If you are generally new to coin collecting, I suggest you refer to the print and online references identified in the following topics:

Edited by Sandon

On 12/11/2023 at 4:42 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

As well as unfounded optimism and motive.

According to my handy dandy Star Trek warp speed calculator, at warp 7.15 you can travel one light-year in 24hrs. So, one a day? I have a feeling @GoldFinger1969 may have something to say about this. ;)

image.thumb.png.8f145c6655621cd23f434819c601b7d4.png

That Warp Speed Calculator must have come from youtube:grin::grin::grin: In the episode "That Which Survives" the Enterprise was thrown 990.7 light years from their location. In less than twenty-fours hours they were back where they started from. Maximum sustained speed of the Enterprise is warp 8.0. You have been pulled from reality world and led astray;););)

On 12/12/2023 at 12:16 PM, VKurtB said:

... invented to make the impossible sound plausible ... probably a beginning coin collector. 

Or like half the people who post "error coins" here. (:

Ever notice how frequently stars pass by Star Trek windows? It’s insane, and impossible.

Not so fast hot shot.  At warp 8, or over 1,000 times the speed of light, you could cross the galaxy with an estimated 200 to 400 billion stars in about 80 days. Those stars would go by the windows pretty fast.

On 12/14/2023 at 11:53 AM, EagleRJO said:

Or like half the people who post "error coins" here. (:

Not so fast hot shot.  At warp 8, or over 1,000 times the speed of light, you could cross the galaxy with an estimated 200 to 400 billion stars in about 80 days. Those stars would go by the windows pretty fast.

Repeat, warp ANYTHING does not exist. It’s fiction, yes, like error coins shown here. 

On 12/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, VKurtB said:

Repeat, warp ANYTHING does not exist. It’s fiction, yes, like error coins shown here. 

Where did I say any of that was "real". You just have to be willing to accept the possibility that some futuristic version of us has made the massive scientific and technological breakthrough that blows Einstein's theories out of the water and facilitates construction of warp drives.  :grin:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/14/2023 at 7:22 PM, EagleRJO said:

Where did I say any of that was "real". You just have to be willing to accept the possibility that some futuristic version of us has made the massive scientific and technological breakthrough that blows Einstein's theories out of the water and facilitates construction of warp drives.  :grin:

Ohhhhh, I see. All we need is to believe something that’s been known and unrefuted for over 80 years, which is multiple eternities in physics, will all of a sudden be refuted. Yeahhhhhh, NO!

On 12/15/2023 at 10:23 PM, VKurtB said:

Ohhhhh, I see. All we need is to believe something that’s been known and unrefuted for over 80 years, which is multiple eternities in physics, will all of a sudden be refuted. Yeahhhhhh, NO!

80 years is not a lot in the scientific long term.  At one time it was thought the earth was flat, that the universe revolved around us, that the sound barrier couldn't be broken, and traveling to the moon was inconceivable.

One thing is for certain, and that is scientific knowledge and resulting technology continues to change and advance.  So yes, radical shifts are likely given enough time.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/15/2023 at 9:59 PM, EagleRJO said:

80 years is not a lot in the scientific long term.  At one time it was thought the earth was flat, that the universe revolved around us, that the sound barrier couldn't be broken, and traveling to the moon was inconceivable.

One thing is for certain, and that is scientific knowledge and resulting technology continues to change and advance.  So yes, radical shifts are likely given enough time.

Dream on.

On 12/16/2023 at 2:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Dream on.

Okay I will, of a time when we can travel through space at fantastic speeds exploring new worlds.  But I will agree with the timeline being too optimistic, and they are called Einstein's theories not laws for a reason. (:

On 12/16/2023 at 4:26 PM, EagleRJO said:

Okay I will, of a time when we can travel through space at fantastic speeds exploring new worlds.  But I will agree with the timeline being too optimistic, and they are called Einstein's theories not laws for a reason. (:

Hmm. Really?

1. **First Law of Special Relativity (Principle of Relativity):**

- The laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers. This means that the fundamental principles of physics, including the behavior of light and matter, are consistent and do not change regardless of an observer's relative motion.

2. **Second Law of Special Relativity (Constancy of the Speed of Light):**

- The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This law fundamentally changed our understanding of space and time, as it implies that time and space are not fixed but are instead interconnected and can vary depending on relative motion.

3. **Third Law of Special Relativity (Relativity of Simultaneity):**

- Simultaneity is relative. Events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer in relative motion. This is a consequence of the way that time and space are interconnected in special relativity.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/16/2023 at 7:12 PM, VKurtB said:

Hmm. Really?

Of course he developed laws, but I naturally assumed we were discussing Einstiene's theories relative to warp speeds, including that an object can approach but not reach or exceed the speed of light.  That theory would need to be superceded for warp speeds to be reached.

On 12/16/2023 at 8:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

Of course he developed laws, but I naturally assumed we were discussing Einstiene's theories relative to warp speeds, including that an object can approach but not reach or exceed the speed of light.  That theory would need to be superceded for warp speeds to be reached.

Yes, aside from traveling through a rapidly spinning black hole, which at a molecular level, would possibly allow such molecules to travel through a rip in space-time (wormhole). Alas, any living organism would be killed by being drawn out like a lengthy strand of spaghetti. You can go in, but nothing describable as you could come out. We're going to be constrained by Einstein's physics for as close to forever as anyone gets. We have only had two things get outside the solar wind, much less the NEAREST star - the two Voyager probes. It will take approximately another 15,000 to 30,000 years to exit our solar system's Oort Cloud.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/16/2023 at 11:47 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes, aside from traveling through a rapidly spinning black hole

That is an interesting and developing area of science.  However, I don't think warp speeds had anything to do with black holes, but I'm not a "trekkie" so don't quote me on that.  Who knows, maybe it's the basis for warp drive theory or something.

And talk about getting off-topic. :whatthe:

Edited by EagleRJO