• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IT'S 10 p.m... does anyone know where the members are?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Lacking a control tower, I can only monitor passenger traffic through Chat Board usage, at a specific hour and day.  On my favorite Forum, that of U.S. and World Coins, I have come up with some statistics other members may find interesting, concerning or even amusing.

My device of choice is the cell phone.  It seems at 10 p.m. on a Wednesday nite, there are about 10 pages of active users, 30 per page, 300 in total.  One would expect the majority of users are members and, perhaps on other days and different hours, they are. BUT... here's what I found on just the first four pages:  by simple extrapolation, 5 members interspersed among 120 "Guests" (formerly known as "Lurkers") which, by my reckoning, comes out to a membership composition of 4%. Which begs the question: Where is Everybody and if this isn't the usual pattern, what is?  Theories, anyone?

Some of the "Guests" on the Online Users list may be members who aren't logged in. I usually don't log in until I find a topic to which I want to react or reply.

No one can or should be online all of the time. I doubt that there are more than twenty members of the chat board who post anything on it more than once a week.

To my knowledge, the Board Guidelines require members to sign out after each engagement. While the powers that be insist they cannot sign-out anyone, as the only dues-paying lurker who "serves" at the pleasure of top management and flexing their Moderation muscle direct me to sign in, not only once a day but very often three or four times.  If there is a "rush hour" so to speak, with maximum usage, it will take time to locate it but I will find it.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, Henri Charriere said:

To my knowledge, the Board Guidelines require members to sign out after each engagement. While the powers that be insist they cannot sign-out anyone, as the only dues-paying lurker who "serves" at the pleasure of top management and flexing their Moderation muscle direct me to sign in, not only once a day but very often three or four times.  If there is a "rush hour" so to speak, with maximum usage, it will take time to locate it but I will find it.

I never sign out and come on every day without having to log in. 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:24 PM, Sandon said:

No one can or should be online all of the time....

In point of fact, signing-out after a session is a Board requirement, per the Guidelines.  One of my peccadillos is being an intermittent poster, but rules are rules.  Besides, the succession of forced deportations, expulsions, time-outs and outright bans has made me weary. Is there anything more embarrassing than returning to the Board after a prolonged absence, liking a post as unobtrusively as you thought, only to be greeted with a jarring post directed thusly:  "A Question for Quintus Arrius," a user name I do not believe I am permitted to use anymore 🤣 along with my former side-kick, 🐓.  

No one can or should be online all of the time.

I agree but if my computer is off I am not online. I do have to log in when I clean my browser which is every other day.

I use my desktop comp for the most part.  If I can't sleep, I use my celly and read myself to sleep with princely stories of magnanimous fairy tales of riches and woes.  It helps me sleep like a bump on a log.  I do click the "remember me" box whenever I do have to log back in.  As JPM stated, if comp gets cleared or rebooted, login gets wiped.  On my celly, I will not have to log in even after days of not using it, on my phone specifically.  Henri, I would recommend speaking with the ethics division of NGC to demand a response for allowing users such as myself and others, i hope, to be logged in for days and days.  I expect repercussions may be swift and volatile, but there is no excuse for such a blatant disregard of common decency. 

Edited by cobymordet
Celly is such a painfully cute term.

On 12/3/2023 at 5:36 AM, cobymordet said:

I use my desktop comp for the most part.  If I can't sleep, I use my celly and read myself to sleep with princely stories of magnanimous fairy tales of riches and woes.  It helps me sleep like a bump on a log.  I do click the "remember me" box whenever I do have to log back in.  As JPM stated, if comp gets cleared or rebooted, login gets wiped.  On my celly, I will not have to log in even after days of not using it, on my phone specifically.  Henri, I would recommend speaking with the ethics division of NGC to demand a response for allowing users such as myself and others, i hope, to be logged in for days and days.  I expect repercussions may be swift and volatile, but there is no excuse for such a blatant disregard of common decency. 

Generally speaking, the term "celly" bears no relation to the Bitish term, telly, used by the British to refer to their television sets.  In the U.S., to my knowledge, its universally accepted use is to refer to the gentleman one shares his jail or prison cell with. (I, of course, do not speak from personal experience).  🤣  The following is good-natured ribbing, and nothing more... the chuckling you hear in the background emanates from members who've been here at least five years who.cannot help but be amused a relative newcomer asked moi, a member with a contentious past many are unable or unwilling to overlook, being asked to approach the Website Coordinator -- to advocate for change on behalf of others. Too risky.  I serve at the powers that be and contrary to what a learned colleague may fervently believe, I serve at their pleasure and have already been advised, Chat Board Guidelined notwithstanding,  I can be removed, without notification or justification, without cause--or appeal. My running commentary, "Blast from the Past," is the closest I can come to engaging in mischief in a bearly tolerable socially-accepted manner.  It is my hope your post is brought to the attention of the powers-that-be and they will consider the matter on the merits.  (thumbsu

Some of the "Guests" on the Online Users list may be members who aren't logged in. I usually don't log in until I find a topic to which I want to react or reply.

No one can or should be online all of the time. I doubt that there are more than twenty members of the chat board who post anything on it more than once a week.

...what exactly is the objection to being logged in all of the time?...whom does it impact?....

On 12/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, zadok said:

...what exactly is the objection to being logged in all of the time?...whom does it impact?....

I believe it is an audit tool used to gauge actual membership participation at different times of the day and night and across time zones.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:44 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I believe it is an audit tool used to gauge actual membership participation at different times of the day and night and across time zones.

...nothing of consequence then, no harm no foul...

On 12/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, zadok said:

..what exactly is the objection to being logged in all of the time?...whom does it impact?....

Some readers misunderstood my previous post on this topic.  By "logged in" I meant signed into the NGC website and this chat board. By being "online" I meant having the computer on and looking at or interacting with a website. We all have things to do other than gazing into a computer monitor or other screen. I understand that for security reasons it's not a good idea to be logged/signed into a website when one isn't interacting with it. 

On 12/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, Sandon said:

Some readers misunderstood my previous post on this topic.  By "logged in" I meant signed into the NGC website and this chat board. By being "online" I meant having the computer on and looking at or interacting with a website. We all have things to do other than gazing into a computer monitor or other screen. I understand that for security reasons it's not a good idea to be logged/signed into a website when one isn't interacting with it. 

...ok good reason, even though im not very well informed on the security aspects of what u mentioned i can see the potential for vulnerability...other things to do, yea im going to have to start making my own pallets....