• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998-D Silver Quarter?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi All!

Just a quick question. From what I've researched here and with PCGS, quarters from 1932-1964 where made of 90% silver then changed to clad from 1965 on with the exception of 1976-S which is 40% silver weighing 5.75 grams if I recall. The glad quarters are roughly 5.67 grams.

I have a 1998-D quarter that weighs 5.77 grams. It was weighed on a coin scale with a PCS variation of -1.88.8.8.8.

Is this normal, or do I perhaps have a silver quarter for a year that has no record of them?

Thank you,

On 11/25/2023 at 12:34 PM, Greenstang said:

Don’t forget there is a mint tolerance of .19g so yours is still within tolerance.  

Thank you. It's so confusing when the the 1976 weighs 5.75. I calibrated the scale again, and below are some photos. I got 5.75 this time. I weighed it a few times and it never goes below that are usally higher. All my other coins are weighing properly. Just trying to be accurate.

1998-D Quarter.jpg

Coin Scale 2.jpg

Coin Scale.jpg

2023-11-25-13-12-30-468.jpg

Edited by Kellym
Add photos

In addition to the weight being within tolerance, the coloration of the coin is normal for a copper-nickel clad coin, not the softer white of a silver or silver clad coin.  The edge of the coin being brown or copper colored would be a definitive indicator that this is an ordinary copper-nickel clad 1998-D quarter.

Although, as I recall, a few 1974-D and/or 1977-D half dollars and dollars are known on 40% silver planchets that were intended for production of bicentennial coin collectors' sets at the San Francisco mint, that was in the era that such sets were being produced. What are the odds that any such planchets would find their way to the production floor of the Denver mint over two decades later?

On 11/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, Sandon said:

In addition to the weight being within tolerance, the coloration of the coin is normal for a copper-nickel clad coin, not the softer white of a silver or silver clad coin.  The edge of the coin being brown or copper colored would be a definitive indicator that this is an ordinary copper-nickel clad 1998-D quarter.

Although, as I recall, a few 1974-D and/or 1977-D half dollars and dollars are known on 40% silver planchets that were intended for production of bicentennial coin collectors' sets at the San Francisco mint, that was in the era that such sets were being produced. What are the odds that any such planchets would find their way to the production floor of the Denver mint over two decades later?

Good question. Though, I realize this is not one of them but what are the odds of most rarities? :) Thanks for the additional information. Very helpful. 

On 11/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, Kellym said:

It's so confusing when the the 1976 weighs 5.75. I calibrated the scale again, and below are some photos. I got 5.75 this time [for the 1998-D 25C]. I weighed it a few times and it never goes below that are usally higher. All my other coins are weighing properly. Just trying to be accurate.

I understand how it can get confusing, particularly with those weights.  The 1976 quarter that weighs 5.75g is likely a 40% silver clad coin as that is the specified weight for that composition.  The specified weight for a normal clad copper 1998-D quarter is 5.670g, but there is a weight tolerance of 0.227g, so it could weigh anywhere between 5.44g and 5.90g.  So your 5.75g 1998-D coin would not be considered an error.

While most clad copper 1998 quarters will likely weigh right around the specified 5.67g weight, occasionally blanks are punched from a thinner than normal coil strip which would usually be near an end.  So it's very likely just a total coincidence that both the 1976 40% silver clad quarter and the 1998-D clad copper quarter both weigh 5.75g (and that it's not from the San Francisco mint where there might a powerball odds chance of a left over dusty silver clad coil still being there).

You can look up specified coin compositions and weights in the Red Book, which you should get if you don't have one.  And, a pretty good way to tell the difference between the various composition coins is to look at the edge of the coins and compare with the attached, keeping in mind some variation is normal.

Errors - Planchet Identification.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I have to interject again of the use of these cheap pocket scales. I honestly cannot trust weights given even with calibration as those scales are just not totally accurate in my opinion. I have a scale that is so sensitive I have to use a wind shield as air movement in the room can be "read" as weight by the scale, but I without a doubt never have regretted the money I paid for the scale as I know 100% my weights are accurate.

On 11/25/2023 at 4:23 PM, RWB said:

Very long odds....

Longer odds than the OP can imagine.