• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toning yes or no
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, edhalbrook said:

Is there only two W nickels?  

I think only the 2020 nickel is. D-Cam proof and reverse proof, so I guess that would be two different coins.

Edited by J P M

On 12/2/2023 at 4:12 PM, edhalbrook said:

I'm getting used to the toned nickels in my books. They look like so many others I have seen. I'll stock with what I got and try and add the odd ball ones to the collection. Thinking on maybe getting some variants to add to it. I don't really do variants at all though. Need to learn more there. Is there only two W nickels?  

I don't know. What I do know is that toning is often artificial, sometimes appealing and sometimes uglier than sickcoins' posts, and varies highly based on environmental factors. If the coins are in an older album, some form of toning is highly likely.

On 12/8/2023 at 7:17 PM, edhalbrook said:

Would this one be good for my dansco book in place of a brown circulated one? I don't know when a toned coin is good. 

A toned coin is good when you find it attractive. If you like this one better than the current one in your Dansco then go ahead and swap it out. It is your collection. Do whatever makes you happy. 

On 12/8/2023 at 6:17 PM, edhalbrook said:

Would this one be good for my dansco book in place of a brown circulated one? I don't know when a toned coin is good. 

As Lem said it is your collection and you should do what makes you happy when you view the coins.   Having said that I truly think that knowledgeable collectors would uniformly use the term "beaten with an ugly stick" to describe the 18-S Lincoln.   That coin does not exude original toning in any sense of the word, the coin has been completely messed with or "bonked" as many describe the artificial toning that has been applied to that coin.   I can only speak for myself, but I would take a nice light to chocolate brown toned coin over that mess any day.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 12/8/2023 at 7:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

As Lem said it is your collection and you should do what makes you happy when you view the coins.   Having said that I truly think that knowledgeable collectors would uniformly use the term "beaten with an ugly stick" to describe the 18-S Lincoln.   That coin does not exude original toning in any sense of the word, the coin has been completely messed with or "bonked" as many describe the artificial toning that has been applied to that coin.   I can only speak for myself, but I would take a nice light to chocolate brown toned coin over that mess any day.

It looks kind of cool but yeah it's.... I don't know I don't get the toning thing much. It came in a bag of wheat pennies.  There seems to be lots of them out there. Weird but they are being sold by some of the same people. 

s-l1600 (30).jpg

s-l1600 (31).jpg

Edited by edhalbrook

On 12/8/2023 at 8:23 PM, edhalbrook said:

It looks kind of cool but yeah it's.... I don't know I don't get the toning thing much. It came in a bag of wheat pennies.  There seems to be lots of them out there. Weird but they are being sold by some of the same people. 

Probably artificial toning. One way to do this is a certain kind of heat treatment. Probably making good money bilking the rubes, who look and think "ooohhhh shinny" (most of them don't spell too well) and that "shinny is better, so pretty pretty rainbow colors are better still."

On 12/8/2023 at 10:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

Having said that I truly think that knowledgeable collectors would uniformly use the term "beaten with an ugly stick" to describe the 18-S Lincoln.   That coin does not exude original toning in any sense of the word

It looks like AT (Artificial Toning) on that 1918-S Cent, as well as the two coins in hand, to me also as I don't see good color progression.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:23 PM, edhalbrook said:

It looks kind of cool

That's what counts even if it is AT of the coins in-hand which all seem to lack good color progression, but just so you are aware some collectors consider AT in a very bad light as something intended to fool less knowledgeable collectors..

And talking about coins in-hand. if you are going to use your bare hands to handle coins only touch them at the edges as your hand has oils at the surface which could negatively affect the coins.  Some collectors, including me, soak all their better raw coins in acetone before putting them in long-term storage holders to ensure there are no oily fingerprints on the coins.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/8/2023 at 10:23 PM, edhalbrook said:

It looks kind of cool but yeah it's.... I don't know I don't get the toning thing much.

Before you make your final decision on toning, might I suggest a little 5 cent thread in the US forum. You seem to like nickels so what’s it going to hurt to take a peek? If you don’t find something that happens to catch your eye in there then maybe toning isn’t for you. 
By the way, I agree that the coins above are no bueno.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:20 AM, Lem E said:

Before you make your final decision on toning, might I suggest a little 5 cent thread in the US forum. You seem to like nickels so what’s it going to hurt to take a peek? If you don’t find something that happens to catch your eye in there then maybe toning isn’t for you. 
By the way, I agree that the coins above are no bueno.

Thanks. I'll just toss the penny in my oddity box. Do any of you actually go out looking for a toned coin? I was looking at auction prices at this site for coins. There is some on there that sell OK but I didn't see many that look that weird. I prefer coins that look more white or original. Better to be toned then cleaned. how to tell a faked toned from a natural toned? 

I don't seek out toned coins. Much like you, I prefer coins to be a nice, bright white (I collect pretty much all silver). I do have some coins toned and most definitely will prefer a toned coin even if it is literally black to a cleaned coin. I want straight graded coins, toned or not. I have very few coins which are cleaned that I am keeping only due to the coin series, limited mintage, and superb remaining details despite the cleaning. I have many Trade Dollars with details grades but have details that would equal MS 65 and despite the issues I am keeping them because that is what the coin used to look like (minus the surface issues). 

Every now and then, I come across a toned coin that despite me not being what you would call a fan of toning, that I will look at and say either, "Wow! That is really cool looking!" or "That coin really looks great toned like that.". There have been some Mercury Dimes, Morgans, Trade Dollars, Barbers that I have seen with some really neat coloring to them from the toning. If they are high enough of a grade, I would purchase them despite wanting the bright white I normally seek out.

As for detecting artificial toning, it can be very difficult and indeed even more difficult to detect from photos so for online purchases, you would need a definite return policy. I think @Coinbuf summed it up very well in his response here and I don't feel a need to repeat what he stated.

If I can get this pic out of my new computer (lots of issues with this one), I'll try to post one of my first Morgans I got starting out roughly 40 years ago as an example. I won't sell this coin and I like it just the way it is. Nearly all black. But it is straight graded, and I would rather have this over a cleaned one that looks white. To me, this is the way a coin with that level of wear should look like. If it was cleaned to look white, it would not look normal.

IMG_20160724_144203.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

On 12/8/2023 at 7:17 PM, edhalbrook said:

No one does. Some THINK they do, but they don't.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, edhalbrook said:

A toned coin is good for your Dansco book when you like it and you think it is good for that collection.  Toning varies considerably, and different toning appeals to or alternatively is not liked by various collectors.

For example I collect Morgans and the 1889 (P) Morgan JPM posted does not appeal to me, even though I have various toned Morgans in my collection, but obviously JPM likes it very much and probably other collectors like it too.  I would follow the old school mantras of "collect what you like" and "know the coin before you buy the coin".

Edited by EagleRJO