• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint error?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I received some reverse proof coins of the morgan dollar and one coin had a blue mark on it between the T and A in states. Maybe it is on the inside of the plastic or on the coin itself (didn't want to open the plastic case). What are your opinions on this coin? I am about to send the rest in for grading next week.

17008479780377669511091209513059.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Based on your photo, this appears to be a thread or other foreign matter that is lying on the coin or inside of the capsule and not something that was struck into the coin, so it is not a "mint error" in the sense that collectors use that term.  As this foreign matter could cause the coin to "tone" unattractively over time, if you can open the capsule without breaking it and remove the foreign matter without harming the coin, I would do so.  Be careful not to touch the coin with your bare hands or scratch (hairline) the coin when removing the material if it is on the coin. A light "flick" with a clean cotton swab or tissue should work. Reclose the capsule after removing the foreign matter.

The other option would be to return the coin within the seven-day return period, but I think this item is "sold out"; and if so, the mint would likely refund your purchase price but not replace the coin.

On 11/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, nycgreg said:

I am about to send the rest in for grading next week.

If you are also sending this coin in for grading then I wouldn't worry about the object inside the capsule as you would be opening the capsule anyway and would not put the foreign object into the submission flip. But, it you are not sending this coin, I agree to open the capsule and remove the object with compressed air as was stated above. Since would be opening the capsule to do this, I would leave it open for about an hour to let any possible moisture involved in the process to evaporate before resealing the capsule and try to do it in a low humidity environment when you do it.

I thank everyone for their advice, I never got around to sending it in. I will send it in for grading along with the others. Somehow the mint sent me 10 to the same address even though the limit is 5.