• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1994 Jefferson Commemorative Dollar Coinage and currency set
1 1

56 posts in this topic

I'm closing in on having the whole set of jefferson's. then those are two I'm going to need. 

Need those two and the 2020 I believe the W nickels. Got the 2017 enhanced. Got the 2018 reverse. Any other ones I am leaving out? 

Edited by edhalbrook

On 11/23/2023 at 4:16 PM, edhalbrook said:

I'm closing in on having the whole set of jefferson's. then those are two I'm going to need. 

Yes. The 1997 coin is a bit more scarce than the 1994.

On 11/23/2023 at 4:16 PM, edhalbrook said:

Need those two and the 2020 I believe the W nickels. Got the 2017 enhanced. Got the 2018 reverse. Any other ones I am leaving out? 

I think that is pretty close to all of them unless you want to include all 6 reverse types from 1939. All 3 mints used both reverse of 38 and reverse of 40 dies. There are also the satin finish coins from the uncirculated sets from 2005-2010 that are different from the regular circulation strikes.

Edited by Lem E
Add info

On 11/23/2023 at 5:04 PM, edhalbrook said:

Is the nickel in this set any different then the uncirculated coin set for that year? 

Yes. The "Redbook" lists this issue separately and refers to it as having a "matte finish".  These pieces are also unusually well struck and generally in better condition than the regular circulation strike pieces (over 722 million minted in total) included in uncirculated coin sets. They were only issued in this Thomas Jefferson Coinage and Currency Set, of which 167,703 were distributed. The similar 1997-P matte finish piece was only issued in the Botanic Garden Coinage and Currency Set, with a distribution of only 25,000 sets. (I was lucky enough to get one from the mint at the time of issue.)

The package for the 1997 set states regarding the included "Uncirculated 1997 Thomas Jefferson Nickel", "[t]o produce this matte finish or 'mint state' Jefferson 5-cent piece, both the obverse and reverse dies are frosted using a combination of aluminum oxide and silver dioxide sprayed under high pressure. Only one other Jefferson 5-cent piece has been minted using this procedure, for the 1994 Thomas Jefferson Coinage and Currency Set."

On 11/23/2023 at 5:44 PM, Sandon said:

Yes. The "Redbook" lists this issue separately and refers to it as having a "matte finish".  These pieces are also unusually well struck and generally in better condition than the regular circulation strike pieces (over 722 million minted in total) included in uncirculated coin sets. They were only issued in this Thomas Jefferson Coinage and Currency Set, of which 167,703 were distributed. The similar 1997-P matte finish piece was only issued in the Botanic Garden Coinage and Currency Set, with a distribution of only 25,000 sets. (I was lucky enough to get one from the mint at the time of issue.)

The package for the 1997 set states regarding the included "Uncirculated 1997 Thomas Jefferson Nickel", "[t]o produce this matte finish or 'mint state' Jefferson 5-cent piece, both the obverse and reverse dies are frosted using a combination of aluminum oxide and silver dioxide sprayed under high pressure. Only one other Jefferson 5-cent piece has been minted using this procedure, for the 1994 Thomas Jefferson Coinage and Currency Set."

Yes, I think the 2017 S SP Enhanced Edition is the other matt one.

Edited by J P M

I picked up the Jefferson 1994 package today. The red book don't say much about it. Is the dollar coin a silver coin? I pretty much got it for the nickel. Are both the P & S mints silver? It calls it a silver dollar. I got the P mint one with the dollar and the nickel and the 1976 $2 bill. 

On 11/28/2023 at 8:57 PM, edhalbrook said:

picked up the Jefferson 1994 package today. The red book doesn't say much about it. Is the dollar coin a silver coin?

Take a closer look at your "Redbook." The dollar coin is an uncirculated 1993-P Thomas Jefferson 250th Anniversary of birth commemorative silver dollar, listed along with this set at p.331 of the 2023 edition.  The dollar is .900 fine silver and struck to the same specifications as Seated, Morgan, and Peace dollars.

On 11/28/2023 at 6:34 PM, Sandon said:

Take a closer look at your "Redbook." The dollar coin is an uncirculated 1993-P Thomas Jefferson 250th Anniversary of birth commemorative silver dollar, listed along with this set at p.331 of the 2023 edition.  The dollar is .900 fine silver and struck to the same specifications as Seated, Morgan, and Peace dollars.

I got the 2018 edition. So the P and S are both silver then? I wonder where they came up with the 1976 $2 bill.  

Just found it in the 2018 book. pg 352. It lists it for $110? That's kind of a insane price

On 11/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, edhalbrook said:

So the P and S are both silver then?

For this issue, both the proof and the uncirculated pieces are "P" mint, and they are both .900 silver, as are all of the numerous commemorative silver dollars issued from 1983 to 2018. The fineness was raised to .999 beginning in 2019. Most of the modern commemorative half dollars are copper nickel clad, the exceptions being the 1982 George Washington and 1993 Bill of Rights/James Madison issues, which are .900 silver. All of this information is also in the Redbook.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, edhalbrook said:

I wonder where they came up with the 1976 $2 bill. 

The BEP printed large numbers of Series 1976 $2 bills, and crisp uncirculated ones remained readily available from the Federal Reserve when these sets were assembled.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:58 PM, edhalbrook said:

Black beauties. What is that? Are they only some year?  

Its got a strange almost cooked look to the metal. Mine is pretty nice. This is an improper alloy mix and improperly annealed planchet. Some of the 1958 and 1959 Jeff Nicks are this way. Its a pretty coin with a unique look. I found mine a while ago and had it slabbed by ANACS. Use my coin for a reference..

1959 P Jefferson 5c Improperly Annealed Planchett Black Beauty 2.jpg

1959 P Jefferson 5c Improperly Annealed Planchett Black Beauty.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/30/2023 at 8:52 AM, edhalbrook said:

What is the 1997 set with the different nickel?

On 11/23/2023 at 5:44 PM, Sandon said:

The similar 1997-P matte finish piece was only issued in the Botanic Garden Coinage and Currency Set, with a distribution of only 25,000 sets.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:17 AM, J P M said:

It is not easy to tell, it has a different look to it and the whole coin including the rim is dark. I have found maybe two or three possibilities' through the years but without the silly label who's to say other than me. Here is the best one I have found so far.

59 O.jpg

59 R.jpg

Yes this is a Black Beauty in AU   cooooool!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

NGC does not use or recognize the title or name "Black Beauty", but they will grade the coin. If requested and appropriate NGC will assign the coin a Mint Error Improperly Annealed Planchet grade in either straight or details grade. This would be sufficient to designate the coin a Black Beauty. Of the 2 know types 1958 and 1959 the 1959 is the more scarce year and tough to find in grades above MS60.

On 11/30/2023 at 6:43 AM, Sandon said:

Thanks. I saw that after I posted the note. You always have the best info Sandon. Is there only two W Nickels? the 2020 ones? The 2005 - 2010 uncirculated set  had satin finishes on their nickels. Then the 2005 - 2010  bank roll nickels will be slightly different then? I got 23 blank spots in my nickel book.2017 enhanced nickel, 1994 P nickel from the jefferson 1993 set. Got both of those. Is there a 1994 S in that same 1993 set that is different? Need the 2018 Reverse nickel, 1997  Botanic nickel. Book shows 1997 P and a 1997 P Proof in that set. Are there two slightly different nickels there? Two 2020 W nickels. and 2005 to 2010 business strike nickels.

I know I'm getting a bit fanatical about the nickels. It's where I started getting into coins. 

I got two other books of nickels that I get just by roll hunting. 1938 - 1964 and 1938 - 1983. Oh yeah a 1962 - 1995 and a 1996 - 2024. 

There are only two "W" mint nickels the 2020-W proofs and reverse proofs that respectively accompanied 2020 clad and silver proof sets.

The 2005-2010 "P" and "D" uncirculated set coins had slightly different finishes than those made for circulation. It's up to you whether you want to collect both; if you have the uncirculated sets for those years, you have the so-called "satin finish" ones, and any piece put into circulation or in a roll would be the regular finish.

All 1994-S nickels were issued in 1994 clad and silver proof sets and are regular mirror finish frosted proofs. They weren't included in the Coin and Currency set, which you should know as you have one.

The 25,000 "matte finish" 1997-P nickels are not considered proofs but are different from the nearly 471 million 1997-P nickels issued for circulation, which are considered the same issue as those included in 1997 uncirculated coin sets.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:41 PM, Sandon said:

The 2005-2010 "P" and "D" uncirculated set coins had slightly different finishes than those made for circulation. It's up to you whether you want to collect both; if you have the uncirculated sets for those years, you have the so-called "satin finish" ones, and any piece put into circulation or in a roll would be the regular finish.

What were the westward journey ones? 

"Improper alloy mix" is a false explanation.

Nickels with dark gray or nearly black surfaces were made from planchets heated in air or an oxidizing environment. The coating is copper oxide [copper(II) oxide or cupric oxide]. it is black. The formula is: CuO.

Separating authentic from post-mint fakes can be difficult.

Edited by RWB