• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Indian Head Quarter Eagle
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Do NOT handle the coin with your naked fingers.  If you don't have latex gloves (clean), then hold the coin on the sides. (thumbsu

Did you take the photo with a smartphone ?  If so, might pay to use a mini-tripod or brace your hand against something so shaking is reduced (I presume you have anti-shake on) and the picture is clearer and shows more details.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I do not doubt it would be valuable if authenticated, but unless it has some strategic sentimental value, I would hold it raw with an eye toward acquiring a much finer, aesthetically-pleasing example. [Understand that it is difficult for the viewer to make an informed assessment on a coin that most regrettably displays a "washed-out" look from our perspective.]

First of all, do not hold a collectible coin in your bare hands except, if you must, by its edges.  That's how they become discolored and worn. Gold is more resistant to discoloration than other coinage metals, but it is very soft and wears easily. The more wear or "rub" a coin has, the lower its grade.

Generally, a new collector has no business submitting coins to third-party grading services, at least without expert assistance, as the determination that the coin is of sufficient value to submit--at least several hundred dollars--requires the collector to come up with an approximate grade for the coin and otherwise evaluate it.  Your photos are too grainy for me to make a close examination of the surfaces of the coin, but it appears to have at least About Uncirculated details (numerical grades 50, 53, 55, and 58), though possibly "cleaned" or polished, which would reduce its value.  (In grading terminology, your phrase "really good condition" is meaningless, as a coin that grades Good--numerical grades 4 and 6-- is well worn.) With regard to it having no mintmark, that is to be expected, as all genuine 1915 quarter eagles were minted at the Philadelphia mint, which used no mintmark at that time. The value of the coin would be at least $400, which is sufficient for submission if desired regardless of the grade.

This coin should be submitted more to authenticate it than to get an opinion as to its grade. The Indian Head quarter eagle type is one of the most frequently counterfeited series among U.S. coins, and the 1915 is one of the more frequently counterfeited dates, ranking number 12 among NGC's list of the top 50 most commonly counterfeited U.S. coins. Top 50 Most Commonly Counterfeited U.S. Coins | NGC (ngccoin.com). A newer collector should not purchase an Indian Head quarter eagle that has not been certified by a reputable grading service.  

I strongly recommend that you refer to the resources identified in the forum topics I linked in my reply to your previous topic, such as a "Redbook" and a grading guide, to obtain the knowledge you will need to become a successful collector.   

I do not know if you have the means to weigh the coin, but it should weigh 4.18g

And yes, I shall be next in line to admonish you for touching the surface of the coin. At a bare minimum, handle all coins with value by their edges.

On 11/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, EagleRJO said:

You are probably better off bringing it to a local coin shop who have an XRF tester to verify it's gold before submitting for you.

That said, I think this is sound advice which you should avail yourself of.

On 11/21/2023 at 11:15 PM, powermad5000 said:

I do not know if you have the means to weigh the coin, but it should weigh 4.18g

That a good suggestion if you have a calibrated scale with a 0.01g accuracy, as the mint had very tight tolerances for gold coins and there isn't much apparent wear. [For this gold quarter eagle coin it's 4.180g +/- 0.016g]

That could help identify a crude fake, but doesn't ensure authenticity.  Keep in mind many of the better counterfeits are made of gold with a very close weight, and can be extremely deceptive with only things like tooling marks identifying the counterfeit.  There is a reason this coin is referred to as the "King of the Counterfeit Gold Coin Series" and why these raw coins should be submitted to a TPG like NGC to authenticate ... https://www.pcgs.com/News/Indian-Head-Quarter-Eagles-King-Of-The-Counterfeit-Gold-Coin

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/21/2023 at 10:24 PM, EagleRJO said:

That a good suggestion if you have a calibrated scale with a 0.01g accuracy, as the mint had very tight tolerances for gold coins and there isn't much apparent wear.

If the OP was taking this to a local coin shop as well for XRF testing, if he didn't have his own scale, I would imagine if they have the XRF testing equipment they would also have a good scale to weigh it.

Good eye mike, I am not sure what is going on in that location, but it looks odd.  I can't see most of the detail on this coin very much so I will refrain from commenting any more until we see better pictures.

I am of the same persuasion in regards to having clear cropped photos. But as we know, it would be difficult to know if the coin is genuine or not from just the photos being it is a well known target for fakes, which is why I supported @EagleRJO's suggestion as well as adding my own to check its weight.