• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 D Wheat Cent. Odd looking (9) in the date.
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 12:59 AM, Edwardram said:

Odd looking (9) in the date ... I believe this is a cud error ...

Where do you see a cud?

On 11/21/2023 at 1:03 AM, dprince1138 said:

I would say it is a die chip

No, wrong.  If you actually looked at the photos you would see the "9" as well as the "7" in the date have taken hits, moving around the soft copper metal.

image.jpg.aa4562b59bb5cadcde9bfbebec1ad474.jpg

A cud occurs when a part of the die breaks off and metal flows into the space around the rim. Cuds always involve the rim of the coin. This cent just took some big hits displacing some of the metal.

On 11/20/2023 at 10:03 PM, dprince1138 said:

Right off hand, I would say it is a die chip, which is very common.

You sure you don't see some non existent "variety" or "double strike conditions" come on usually your answers are silly wrong but this one is just plain wrong...come on you can do better...

Does anyone here see a similarity between dprince and slickcoins? Maybe they aren’t the same, but exact same nonsense.

dprince:  please find another place to go!  We honestly need that because we all try hard here and I’m wasting so much time correcting your bull

I'm going to be the "odd man out" here. I think that the "9" in the 1957-D Lincoln cent that the OP asked about actually does have a die chip clogging its upper portion, as is very common for cents of this era and especially those dated 1957. I've seen others like it.  I think, therefore, that @dprince1138 was correct in this case. Unfortunately, like the boy who cried "wolf", he has posted disinformation so many times that he has discredited himself to an extent that no one believes anything that he says.

To the OP--Die chips like this are not regarded as significant mint errors, command no premium, and will not be attributed by grading services. "NGC does not recognize as mint error coins those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance." Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com). However, there was once a fad of collecting a similar, common type of die chip on cents of this era, as discussed in the following topic:

On 11/22/2023 at 9:18 PM, Sandon said:

I'm going to be the "odd man out" here. I think that the "9" in the 1957-D Lincoln cent that the OP asked about actually does have a die chip clogging its upper portion, as is very common for cents of this era and especially those dated 1957. I've seen others like it.  I think, therefore, that @dprince1138 was correct in this case. Unfortunately, like the boy who cried "wolf", he has posted disinformation so many times that he has discredited himself to an extent that no one believes anything that he says.

To the OP--Die chips like this are not regarded as significant mint errors, command no premium, and will not be attributed by grading services. "NGC does not recognize as mint error coins those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance." Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com). However, there was once a fad of collecting a similar, common type of die chip on cents of this era, as discussed in the following topic:

Finale! 👍 
Here is another example of the same Worthless die chip and some worthless MD (machine doubling) for this year of exhausted equipment and die…

IMG_3674.jpg

Edited by R__Rash

On 11/21/2023 at 3:24 AM, EagleRJO said:

Where do you see a cud?

No, wrong.  If you actually looked at the photos you would see the "9" as well as the "7" in the date have taken hits, moving around the soft copper metal.

image.jpg.aa4562b59bb5cadcde9bfbebec1ad474.jpg

It is definitely a genuine mint error "die chip" in the upper loop of the 9. The top left of the 7 has an impact mark on it.

But even though it is a genuine error coin, the value is not much more than the 3-cents that common wheat-back cents sell for in bulk.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:26 PM, R__Rash said:

Here is another example of the same Worthless die chip and some worthless MD

I agree that cent looks like it has MD with a possible die chip or die deterioration at the "9", but it's not the same as the op's coin.  To me the upper left part of the "9" on the op's coin looks flatter and wider than the rest of the "9", and there is a disturbed area at the top of the loop indicative of some of the soft copper being displaced from a hit.  We have had a few copper cent over time with a similar look where pieces of the date were actually completely displaced.