• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 DDO LINCOLN CENT
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I agree that by current standards this purported 1955 doubled die obverse (DDO) cent has About Uncirculated (50-55) details, although I would grade it Choice Extremely Fine (45) by my own standards. However, if this coin is being offered to you, I would not purchase it without its being authenticated and graded by a reputable third-party grading service as NGC, PCGS or ANACS. Some of the details appear unusually soft for this issue, especially on the reverse. It also has an unusual shine that could be indicative of a counterfeit or a "cleaning". As would be expected for a popular coin with a retail value of $2,000 or more in this condition, there have been a number of counterfeits of 1955 DDO cents. Numerous fakes of "key" coins like these have come from China in recent decades.

Genuine examples of the 1955 DDO cent show these die scratches beneath the "T" in CENT, although I recall that that counterfeiters could attempt to imitate it:

image.png.9da0e8f949e510a434c2f8734ddb8956.png

NGC Explorer photo.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:16 AM, Williamleighton said:

... can someone please help with a grade for this coin thank you

The 1955 DDO Lincoln Cent is one of the most popular and valuable varieties, with over a dozen known counterfeits and little to no chance of finding one in the wild.  That looks like an archived image from a less well known auction company for coins, so I would suspect a counterfeit or you are being trolled thinking you will drool over it.

Edited by EagleRJO

I have seen many different offerings from that seller on eBay, and I have to say that over the time I have noticed some of them (Indian heads, Flying Eagle cents, etc.), at least from the photos provided, many of the coins look "too good to be true" and many others have been very questionably possibly fake. If you are looking to pay good money for this cent, I would suggest to skip this seller at a minimum, or better yet, throw a little more at it and buy a certified example.

The two biggest red flags for me, and others like me who privately believe they would never fall for a scam on eBay is a clearly rare coin being offered uncertified, with a No Returns Accepted policy. I do not believe knowing who the seller is or the percentage of favorable reviews received -- or price would encourage me to lower my guard. And if the item is up for bids, I am afraid I would have to pass. Have I taken risks?  Yes, we all have.  If there is one thing I have learned though it's err on the side of safety. And confine your buying to reputable dealers who've been around awhile with proven track records. There is no reason why a particularly valuable coin should be offered for sale without certification.