• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

thanks for looking i read its worth 10 dollars in silver 1946 half dollar
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, jimbean802 said:

is it worth 10 dollars

No, see the following NGC link for melt values.  Also, dealers are usually only willing to pay a little under melt value (bid price) and will sell for around or a little over melt value (ask price), possibly with a discount or markup for a small amount or single coin.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/coin-melt-values.aspx

On 11/19/2023 at 3:47 PM, dprince1138 said:

Right off hand, the market value seems to be about $13.

I see on EBenezer that a few people have been foolish enough to pay that for an $8.75 coin, but that doesn't make that its market value.  For every heavily worn common 1940s Walker someone pays that much for, rolls and rolls are sold for melt, which is right now between $8.50 and $9.

On 11/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, Just Bob said:

That really depends on who is buying. Could you get ten dollars for it if you offered for sale to the public at a coin show, gun show, flea market, antique store, etc ? Probably. Could you get ten dollars for it if you offered it to a knowledgeable coin collector? Maybe, depending on their long-term outlook for silver prices, and the coin market in general. Could you get ten dollars if you offered it to a dealer? No, not likely. You would probably get current melt value or a bit less.

This is the point I am always trying to make. No coin has a single value. All coins have a dealer wholesale, private collector retail, and dealer retail value; they all also have some sort of metal value (even if that's "worthless unless you had a truckload") and most retain a face value, the exceptions being those demonetized.

When people ask "what's it worth" we can do them a great service by asking "to whom?" and explaining exactly what Bob just did. We can then go back and forth over how those numbers can be estimated, and most of us have methodologies, but at least we will be offering them real economic understanding.

Edited by JKK

Right off hand, the market value seems to be about $13.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:33 AM, JKK said:

I see on EBenezer that a few people have been foolish enough to pay that for an $8.75 coin, but that doesn't make that its market value.  For every heavily worn common 1940s Walker someone pays that much for, rolls and rolls are sold for melt, which is right now between $8.50 and $9.

When seller/buyer fees and shipping are considered you are likely down to around melt value anyway.