• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2008 dime ** missing 8. What kind of error is this?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

To me it looks like it could be a strike from loose dies, with a combination of vertically misaligned (tilted) and rotated dies.  There are very weak areas on both sides of the dime, particularly at the rims, which might line up if the dies also rotated when they worked loose to come out of vertical alignment.  I can imagine this happening, and would be similar to the attached combination tilted/rotated die coin shown on the error-ref.com site.

https://www.error-ref.com/vertical-misaligned-die-error-tilted-die-error/

https://www.error-ref.com/rotated_die_error/

Errors - Tilted & Rotated Die Error-Ref.com Example Small.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

If weak detail below bust and at upper left on reverse are opposite one another, then it might be an end of strip or tapered planchet error.That would also eliminate debris filled dies from consideration. The Denver mint was using horizontal presses in 2008, so the loose die idea doesn't work either.

Could this be the result of a misaligned (slanted) obverse die, resulting in the wide rim one side of the obverse and the weakness in the date area? Whatever the cause, I would tend to classify this coin as an example of poor quality control rather than as a mint error of any significance or value.

On 11/19/2023 at 6:17 PM, RWB said:

The Denver mint was using horizontal presses in 2008, so the loose die idea doesn't work either.

I'm not that familiar with the newer horizontal presses, but wouldn't the collar on those presses keep the coin in place to be similarly struck by a loose die that may be both horizontally misaligned and rotated.

P.S. Of the possibilities you mentioned I think it would have to be a combination of a partial or straight clipped end of coil punch and tapered blank to account for both the missing rim portions and weakly struck areas, also combined with rotated dies anyway.  All of those combined together just doesn't seem very likely vs just rotated and tilted dies.

And since dies can still become loose in the chucks and rotate with the horizontal coin presses, it actually seems more likely that those horizontal dies would then also tip or tilt downward due to gravity.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/19/2023 at 7:12 PM, EagleRJO said:

I'm not that familiar with the newer horizontal presses, but wouldn't the collar on those presses keep the coin in place to be similarly struck by a loose die that may be both horizontally misaligned and rotated.

The mechanical arrangement is different, and I don't have a good illustration or comparative description.

I haven't seen any post 2000 rotated die errors that I can remember coming across, so I am not sure there was any rotation of the die in this case. I am still tying to come up with a plausible/possible explanation that makes sense for this coin as I think even a strike with a grease filled die will still leave the proto rim intact post strike.

I think we really need to hear from @Edwardram if the weakened areas are in the same location indicative of rotated dies if we are to go any further with trying to figure out if it's a mint error or not.

I recently submitted a Mercury Dime with part of the reverse having this effect. I submitted it as a mint error. Part of the rim is flat and the half of the lettering in the same area is flat. It will be a while before I get this coin back graded and see what NGC has to say.

I had a thought late last night that I am not sure of. Could the proto rim not have been established as a planchet issue that did not properly get upset combined with a partial grease filled die? Possibly?

I don't think it's a grease-filled die. The losses are in the same area on the coin, just on either side, which would mean one would have to imagine that both dies managed to have grease. More probably it's just excessive wear in that one spot due to some form of abrasion that affected both sides.

The Mercury dime has returned as not a mint error. I would have to specifically ask for the graders notes but the areas of lettering affected on the reverse were considered not a mint error. I would have to then say the OP's posted dime will also not be a mint error.

PXL_20231214_185302979.jpg

On 12/16/2023 at 5:01 PM, powermad5000 said:

The Mercury dime has returned as not a mint error

Did you have a loss of detail and rims on both sides in the same location?

It could be multiple effects. If you look at the rim above LIBERTY it is not square it is at a slight angle and the same on the reverse to me that indicates the die or the planchet (maybe a tapered planchet) was tipped a little perhaps due to a lot of grease on both dies. That is my thought for what it is worth. It is still not an error coin worth grading. That is one thing I know for sure. 

On 12/16/2023 at 9:04 PM, powermad5000 said:

On the opposite side the rim was weak, but not missing as on the reverse.

I think the op's coin is a different case since there is a loss of the rims and details on both sides, which may involve multiple minor errors.  Although I don't think it's grease.  And@Edwardram still needs to let us know if the effect is in exactly the same area on both sides which may also indicate rotated dies.

Agreed @EagleRJO. I only posted the Merc results as there is a somewhat similar condition as the OP's coin although not as severe as it is on the OP's. I bought the Merc figuring that with the reverse being flat all the way to the edge of the coin in a decent amount (ie not too minor) that it would fall in the error category somewhere. But as with the Roosy dime where I had lettering actually cut off as part of the strike and that did not qualify for an error either, that maybe the OP's coin will also fall in the same category.

I tried looking on error-ref.com and could not find anything resembling the condition on the OP's coin unless I missed something.

On 12/17/2023 at 3:18 PM, powermad5000 said:

I tried looking on error-ref.com and could not find anything

Since there is a loss of the rim and details on BOTH sides of the op's coin It might be a strike error, like a loose die, and slight clipped planchet such that it wasn't significant enough to result in the Blakesley Effect.  But we still don't know from the op if its in the same spot on either side.

https://www.australian-coins.com/error-coins/how-to-determine-if-a-clipped-planchet-error-is-real/

I appreciate everyone’s views and expertise.  

I did find this black Penny in coin roll hunting today. Lamination error or chemical? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

"2008 dime ** missing 8. What kind of error is this?"

What kind? Yours. Not just on the 2008 coin; all of them.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/16/2023 at 4:01 PM, powermad5000 said:

The Mercury dime has returned as not a mint error.

Almost nothing is. Many, many people badly need education about errors, and very very few get it.

Edited by VKurtB