• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quest to obtain all half dollar examples
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Well I have everything after 1824 so the others might end up being re-pops. 
have virtually every Kennedy PDS , a Franklin for every year MS63 FBL, A Walking Liberty and if you count it, an 1893 Colombian Expo half. So what is left besides the Flowing Hair half dollar?

Edited by Mr.Bill347

On 11/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

have virtually every Kennedy PDS , a Franklin for every year MS63 FBL, A Walking Liberty and if you count it, an 1893 Colombian Expo half. So what is left besides the Flowing Hair half dollar?

don't forget the barber(thumbsu103_0080.thumb.JPG.4ec248b9e76c98cda9bc4f2ac20537c0.JPG

On 11/18/2023 at 10:14 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

...im assuming u mean a type set?...not a complete date/mint set?....

First, I would recommend PCGS.  Enter year and mint into google and click on the PCGS link.  For example, "1824 p capped bust half dollar";

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1824-50c/6137

Next, I would say ebay;

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313&_nkw=1824&_sacat=11969

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/18/2023 at 4:50 PM, dprince1138 said:

Do you consider die varieties?

Bill you likely already know this but ignore these comments.  NGC lists 1,313 die varieties for half dollars.

On 11/18/2023 at 4:57 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Heck I’ll be lucky to obtain one [flowing] hair half dollar 

Yea, those are super expensive even in G grades, so I skipped it.

On 11/18/2023 at 4:59 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I have to determine the die variety on the capped bust half.

NGC VarietyPlus lists a number of the more significant attributed ones to compare with the coin in-hand, but not a complete die listing like in Parsley's book.

On 11/18/2023 at 4:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

Bill you likely already know this but ignore these comments.  NGC lists 1,313 die varieties for half dollars.

It appears that my 1824 Capped Bust Half Dollar is a 1824 4 over 4 die variety Type 1

1824 Capped Bust Half Dollars : 4 Over 4

Lettered Edge

Mintage: N/A

Minted at: Philadelphia (No Mint Mark)

Designer - Engraver: John Reich

Metal Composition: 89% Silver - 11% Copper

Diameter: 32.5 mm

Mass / Weight: 13.48 grams

Designer:John Reich, 13.5 gr 89.2% silver 10.8% copper Mintage 3,504,954

VF30 lists $204 value

1824-4-over-4-capped-bust-half-dollar.jpg

Buddy you have a tall task a head of you!!  I know exactly what you are going through!!  i have all of the halves back to 1898  then missing about 10 r so for the complete barber set...  have a couple of dozen Bust halves no seated (havent found any i like)  but i have been collecting them for 2 dozen years now.  time to roll up the sleeves

Edited by JT2

On 11/21/2023 at 11:33 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

It appears that my 1824 Capped Bust Half Dollar is a 1824 4 over 4 die variety Type 1

Yes, it looks like you found a match with the 1824/4 50C Type-1 or O-109.  Also, NGC VarietyPlus has a good image of the 1824/4 O-109 coin/date, and is a great resource for 1837 and later half dollars where only the date (thru early 1900's) and mark (thru 1990's) varied until those were added to the master dies.

1824 50C 4 Over 4 NGC VP O-109 Date.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, dprince1138 said:

One of the examples that I had mentioned, is when the motto "In God We Trust" was added mid production to the 1866 seated liberty half dollar.  There are a number of arrow\no arrow dates, but the no arrow dies are costly.

DPrince (price lol). Listen, each coin is individual for itself.  You cannot keep comparing wrong or different coins to one.  Please STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you are trying to establish yourself, but look at my post count.  Very small, because I answer questions directly if needed.  Take that advice to heart.  What is the point with your posts??  

People who come here are trying to learn correct information about collecting coins.  You have been nothing but copy/paste information from Google.  Time to stop and learn sir/madam.  Everyone is telling you the same thing.  

here is a question for you I hope you answer…..why does everyone disagree with you??  Answer that please and all will make sense!

Edited by Newenglandrarities

On 11/18/2023 at 10:14 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

So what is left besides the Flowing Hair half dollar?

Flowing hair half dollar, draped bust small eagle and draped bust heraldic eagle.  Let me know when you get the draped bust small eagle. :grin:

On 11/23/2023 at 5:33 AM, Conder101 said:

Flowing hair half dollar, draped bust small eagle and draped bust heraldic eagle.  Let me know when you get the draped bust small eagle. :grin:

Conder101, wouldn’t the draped bust small/heraldic eagle be a die variety rather than a type?

IMG_7897.jpeg

On 11/23/2023 at 8:04 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

wouldn’t the draped bust small/heraldic eagle be a die variety rather than a type?

The registry type sets I referenced above have both a small eagle and large eagle type for the Draped Bust half dollar series per the attached from my prior post since they are different as Conder also  noted.

But you can collect them any way you want, and perhaps you originally intended to just obtain one half dollar from each of the 8 basic series per the attachment to your last post.  Flowing Hair is still going to be a tough one.

Registry50CTypeSet.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO