• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this texture called
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I finally bought myself a decent scanner, slow but detailed. This coin has some weird surface radiating lines. Along with a halo around Kennedy. Kennedy has a double cheek , chin , lips and neck. And a few reverse letters are DD. 
it’s quite a messy example of Quality craftsmanship. 
The lines remind me of rain being push across a windshield. 

thanks Tom 

IMG_0968.jpeg

The "orange peel"-like texture and distortion are indicative of the coin having been struck from a worn die. 

The shallow secondary image to the left of some letters in "UNITED STATES" is clearly strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling, not a doubled die, and is of no collector value. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com).

I would believe that either an iphone or a digital camera would be much better for creating a coin image.  If the halo is only on the scanned image, then that is most likely light refraction. 

Although, coins in a very good mint state condition may have a cartwheel effect.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/cartwheel-effect-on-coins-768414

On 11/18/2023 at 2:24 AM, CREDTO51 said:

Is this an example of a (above TED) die break? Thanks Tom 

The thin raised line between the letters on the Morgan dollar reverse is best referred to as a die crack; the term die break is usually used for where the raised metal is wider and more of a "blob." Die cracks are extremely common on Morgan dollars and other nineteenth century coins.  

It is best to start a new topic when you have a question about a coin different from the one with which you started the topic.

On 11/18/2023 at 2:20 AM, dprince1138 said:

Although, coins in a very good mint state condition may have a cartwheel effect.

Ignore this.  All coins in a good mint state (MS) condition will exhibit the "cartwheel effect" from luster.  If not there is either wear or an impairment that has broken the luster.

[He didn't even read the article he linked. doh!]

On 11/18/2023 at 12:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

Ignore this.  All coins in a good mint state (MS) condition will exhibit the "cartwheel effect" from luster.  If not there is either wear or an impairment that has broken the luster.

The first (100 or so?)coins struck from a new die/s will have no or limited luster until flow lines develop. I've also noticed apparent off-center luster on coins, I haven't given much thought as to why or how this could occur but if I was going to take a guess right now I'd say it was due to the lowest portions of the design, on the dies, being off-center. (shrug) Perhaps the flow lines could form in different directions on the devices and fields, and/or maybe there is some natural variance to how they form as well. Cleaning or dipping a coin might cause this effect as well, I'll have to take a closer look next time I notice that. hm

On 11/18/2023 at 4:47 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The first (100 or so?)coins struck from a new die/s will have no or limited luster until flow lines develop.

Hey Mike, I might go with limited luster with coins struck from "fresh" dies, but for MS coins it should still be there.  My understanding is flow lines and luster develop even with fresh dies as the metal from the planchet does move or flow into incuse areas of the die to produce the raised portions of the coin, particularly near the center.

I haven't noticed or read about "off-center" luster, but perhaps that is something related to coins struck with fresh dies which may have disturbed flow lines.  If you do notice that again or see any references about that I would find it interesting.

On 11/18/2023 at 5:38 PM, dprince1138 said:

I saw a coin that seems to have somewhat similar coloring.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

[Side note:  Funny how under increased magnification, the individual letters in L I B E R T Y become undecipherable. Without commenting on any alleged irregularities, I believe the decision to have this coin certified was a wise one. Very lovely example.]

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct spellchecker.

On 11/18/2023 at 5:38 PM, dprince1138 said:

I saw a coin that seems to have somewhat similar halo.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

By any chance does the label on the NGC holder in which this Capped Bust half dime is housed assign the coin a "details" grade and include a word like "Cleaned" or "Whizzed"? Could that be the reason for the "halo" in this case?

There is a legitimate numismatic term for a very specific coin condition known as "kerfuffle" which another member posted on another thread without referring to it as such. Incredibly, it is not an example of post-Mint damage of any kind, and I am relieved nobody was inclined to use it here. Carry on, gentlemen!

I am in the camp of @Greenstang. That is Progressive Indirect Design Transfer. I have seen that condition on many coins from Lincolns to Walkers to Mercs to Roosys. 

You can find more information here :

https://www.error-ref.com/progressive-indirect-design-transfer/