• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thought’s and knowledge! ( IKE DOLLAR )
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have read a few differences articles about the 1971 Eisenhower $1, value, conditions and popularity. A lot of opinions.  Secondly is this darkness on the coin toning? Natural? or man made ( like dipped in something)? Thank you all,  I took several pics coin doesn’t move but I moved the light 3 different positions. 

IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0395.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

From your photos the Ike dollar appears to be in about uncirculated condition and as such not really worth more than its face value of $1.   As such the toning is really moot, however, to answer your question from those photos I see no signs that the coin has been manipulated or altered, but I might have a different opinion if I saw it in person.

Ike dollars are popular with some collectors but as a series it is one of the quieter coin series.   But it does have some good things going for it, it is a short series and thus it doesn't take long to complete, nor is it an expensive series unless you plan to have the very highest graded coins.   I have attached a screen shot that shows the number of sets for all the dollar coin series in the NGC registry, as you can see there are quite a few Ike dollar sets, but it is clearly not the most popular dollar coin series, not even in the modern coin series.

image.png.893a931701f857214e2d3e30495568b1.png

Edited by Coinbuf

Based on the photos, your 1971-D (not 1971) Eisenhower dollar--a common coin with a reported mintage of 68,587,424 pieces--does appear to be "toned", though unattractively. I would rather call it "discolored". It also shows "rub" or wear on the high points, which would likely preclude a mint state (uncirculated) grade. The photos are blurry, but I'm pretty sure I see the brow line over the eagle's eye, so it isn't the purportedly scarce "Friendly Eagle" variety. Eisenhower Dollars (1971-1978) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). The coin probably isn't worth much, if anything, over face value.

It really helps us when you ask specific questions. Was there anything else you particularly wanted to know about this coin? What articles have you read about it and where do they appear?

Edited by Sandon

These coins experience levels of toning (just as any coin can experience some type of coloration change as in copper coins going from red to brown). Toning can develop from environmental factors as well as how the coin was stored and what it was stored in. Toning in and of itself is not a detraction from the coin, although there are collectors who will only seek out coins in "blast white" or "cartwheel" for silver and rich red for copper. There are a handful of niche collectors who collect their coins based solely upon toning and seek out coins with the craziest toning patterns and colors.

One of the members I highly respect on here, Sandon, gave you the best answers in his reply's so I do not feel the need to reiterate what he said in regards to your coin.

Edited by powermad5000