• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

buying shipping supplys
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I need a little help please. I just started collecting and have some coins that need to be graded. Where do I get the plastic flips, labels and shipping containers to send the coins to be graded? I couldn't find a resource on the NGC page.

Thanks for the advice,

Joe

First thing is, do the coins need to be graded? There are many here that  will give you great advice. All you have to do is Post a photo of both sides of the coin and ask a question. 

Edited by J P M

NGC has a customer service phone number that may provide some answers.  Also, there are some specific instructions on how to submit a coin, as well as what level of service to select.  If you are referring to the containers with the NGC grading label, I would assume that is provided as part of the service.

1-800-NGC-COIN, 1-941-360-3990

The holders that I use for shipping to buyers I had purchased on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Capsules-Collection-Adjustable-American/dp/B07TXK6G8N/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=coin%2Bcontainers&qid=1700253736&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/17/2023 at 12:30 PM, Joe Sexton said:

I need a little help please. I just started collecting and have some coins that need to be graded. Where do I get the plastic flips, labels and shipping containers to send the coins to be graded? I couldn't find a resource on the NGC page.

Thanks for the advice,

Joe

Hey Joe,

I would check a source like wizard coin supply (just Google them) for easy supplies.  Agree with the above post though, make sure you know what you have before submission.  Feel free to post pics of what you have and I’m sure many here can help.  Each coin submission will cost between 40-70 with shipping and fees (per coin not total) so it’s worth asking here.  Try to take images with your cell phone or similar.  We are here to help!

On 11/17/2023 at 3:30 PM, Joe Sexton said:

I need a little help please. I just started collecting and have some coins that need to be graded.

I agree with others that the first thing to do is figure out a rough grade yourself and then determine if it's worth submitting based on your reason for doing that.

On 11/17/2023 at 3:30 PM, Joe Sexton said:

Where do I get the plastic flips, labels and shipping containers to send the coins to be graded?

For the flips I would use the ones sold on the Wizard Coin Supply site as referenced.  As far as labels and containers you can get them from an office supply store or shipping company like FedEx.  Then go to the following link for submittal instructions ...

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/how-to-submit/

To answer your question, you can obtain 50 2.5 inch flips from NGC's parent company for $9, which is today a favorable price. NGC Double Pocket Coin Flips – CCG Store (collectiblesgroup.com).  You can also try Whitman (whitman.com), Amos Publishing (amosadvantage.com) and as others have mentioned, Wizard Coin Supply. Shipping supplies may be obtainable from the shipper (for example, USPS or FedEx) or office supply stores.

However, as you have "just started collecting" and presumably do not have significant knowledge and experience in grading and otherwise evaluating coins, you should not be considering submitting your coins to third-party grading services yourself! You may well end up spending more in grading fees and associated costs than the coins are worth. At a minimum, you should have an experienced dealer or collector evaluate your coins and advise you in this matter. See Jeff Garrett: The Art of Rare Coin Submissions | NGC (ngccoin.com). You can find dealers in your area, including those who submit coins to NGC, at Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com). We can also give you some idea of the grade and value of your coins if you post clear, cropped photos of each side of each coin as separate topics on this forum.

A new collector's time and money are best spent studying basic resources about coins, such as those described in the following forum topics:

You would also benefit from attending such events as coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can examine a variety of coins and learn from knowledgeable dealers and collectors.   

Hello and welcome!

First I would ask what coins you are considering submitting??? The cost of third party grading is basically prohibitive on coins that value less than $200 and many on here will tell you it is not worth the cost of submission unless a coin is worth $400-500.

That said, I use Saflips (2.5" X 2.5" is required by NGC for all submissions). I buy blank labels from Staples to number them. Some rubber bands to secure the flips for packing. You can use any box but make sure it is sizeable enough for all the shipping labels to fit on it. Typically 9x9x9 or 12x6x3 are good sizes (or they can be bigger). You should use bubble wrap in the box. You can get that at hobby stores, Staples, or Home Depot or any UPS or FedEx shipping location.

I would strongly advise against submitting any coins until you know what they may grade and what their potential value would be. There is a dealer locater on this page under the Resources tab. Being new to collecting, I would recommend you take the coins you are considering submitting to a local dealer and get a proper assessment of them before you buy any shipping supplies.