• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 Lincoln Wheat Error?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I came across this penny, it is a 1944 wheat. On the obverse to the left of where LIBERTY is, there is an anomoly. 

I do not know what to make of it. I looked at the edges and do not see any metal pushed up on the sides.

RTY is visable, although it is recessed. It is mostly intact and I don't see scraping.

WIN_20231115_10_54_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20231115_10_54_50_Pro.jpg

PXL_20231114_233409208.jpg

PXL_20231114_233419254.jpg

WIN_20231115_10_53_43_Pro.jpg

Hello and welcome!

I am not sure what happened to this coin. If it were a planchet defect, I would think the lettering of RTY would not have had enough metal in that area to flow into the die and those letters would be missing so I have to say it is post mint damage. A lamination error also would not have that effect or leave those three letters intact.

I do note that the lettering of RTY seems to be below the normal surface field of the cent so I don't think there is some kind of glue or something on the surface. I want to lean that some drops of acid purposefully got dropped on the surface to cause the depression and was neutralized before it ate a hole in the coin or destroyed the letters RTY which are thick enough to have survived the attack on the surface.

I don't think that's glue. Glue would stick up. The side photo shows indentation.

The shape looks enough like a reverse Lincoln that it's tempting to think it was a pitifully aligned vise job, but when one looks at it, the outline is incorrect.

Occam's explanation would be that it just took some real hard impacts from whatever.