• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED HELP WITH MY 1964 WASHINGTON QUARTER
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hello I have recently got started with collecting. I really would like some help with this 1964 Washington Quarter no mint mark. It's in great condition and looks like it has a strike through error as you can see from photo. Is this coin something I should get looked at and certified, could there be more value than scrap price?

20231114_153121.jpg

20231114_153156.jpg

Welcome to the forum, just to echo what has already been said, your quarter received some damage after it left the mint that is not a strike through error.   While you may consider this to be in good condition to many (most) collectors a damaged coin from this time period is mostly going to be only worth the value of the silver it was made from.

Edited by Coinbuf

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

These semicircular scratches often appear on coins that were placed at the ends of machine wrapped rolls. Unfortunately, they substantially devalue the coins from a collector's standpoint. Even without the wrapping machine damage, your 1964 Washington quarter wouldn't be considered to be "in great condition", as it has light wear (About Uncirculated or so in details), has a number of nicks, and appears to have been "cleaned".

Here are photos of a 1937-S Washington quarter that PCGS graded MS 64. Note the full details, frosty luster, and relatively mark-free surfaces.

1937-Squarterobv..thumb.jpg.dc0dfa347ff10e232f6ec1507d2c0065.jpg

1937-Squarterrev..thumb.jpg.a78188a3726011cd2ad72dc27794861d.jpg

Before you even start to think about submitting coins to third-party grading services, which is costly, you need to learn a great deal about how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself, both by studying print and online resources and by attending venues such as coin shows and coin club meetings where you can examine a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers.  Here are some forum topics that will identify some helpful print and online resources:

Hello and welcome! I also think that is damage from a coin roll wrapping machine. It is not a strike through or an error.

I do note that if you intend to keep the coin, that the condition of the cardboard flip is no longer in the greatest of condition, and you may want to place the coin into a new cardboard flip.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:36 PM, Parker1986 said:

It's in great condition and looks like it has a strike through error

I agree with others that it looks like the coin is damaged from a coin wrapper machine, which is not a mint error.  If you want more info about this coin, including values and what one in "great condition" would look like, see the following link.

NGC Coin Explorer 1964 (P) 25C

ForumWelcome.png

Edited by EagleRJO