• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018- P quarter Voyageurs die chips
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Thought this would be interesting to show. Thought I would say extra rock or extra branch on the tree, but just die chips. That rock die chip threw me off, because it's perfectly shaped as a rock. So close but no cigar. 

20231114_093753.jpg

20231114_092727.jpg

20231114_092618.jpg

20231114_092824.jpg

Congrats on catching the chips and also for realizing they are not significant features. Just to make sure, though, always check some resources to see if something you find isn't actually a verified variety. On some of these moderns, certain varieties do get attributed whether or not I and/or others think they are too insignificant. 

On 11/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, powermad5000 said:

... realizing they are not significant features

That's the key!

On 11/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, powermad5000 said:

On some of these moderns, certain varieties do get attributed whether or not I and/or others think they are too insignificant. 

Even minor errors or varieties these days are listed on sites like varietyvista.com or doubleddie.com since the single-squeeze die making and newer post-strike procedures at the mint to eliminate variations.  Seems like the mint is really intent on putting error/variety collectors out of business.  However, many of these are not recognized by the big boys (e.g. not listed on NGC VarietyPlus).

On 11/14/2023 at 8:47 PM, dprince1138 said:

Tiny government spy devices.

In Soviet Russia, coins look at YOU.

Thank you guys,  die chips use to be fun to find. Now it's seriously getting old to come across them. But I'm still on the hunt. Not for die chips,  but for other really cool variety and errors. ;)

On 11/19/2023 at 1:32 PM, Hinkle said:

... die chips use to be fun to find. Now it's seriously getting old to come across them. But I'm still on the hunt. Not for die chips,  but for other really cool variety and errors.

I assume you roll hunt like me and some others who periodically come across coins struck with minor die chips and cracks from overused dies.  Not as bad as it was long ago, but still I like a frugal government that gets good coin mileage and beats the snot out of dies. (:

US Mint Shattered Die.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO