• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on a 1910 p Lincoln wheat cent
1 1

17 posts in this topic

It looks like it could be a partial filled die on the tip of the.. S ............At any rate it is a good looking cent

Edited by J P M

To the OP, please ignore the post above mine as somewhere around 1837 most of the images and lettering on coins were added to the hubs except for the dates and mint marks. There definitely was no hand punching or repunching of mottos in 1910. Also the 1836 whatever coin it is has nothing to do with your 1910 Lincoln Wheat Cent. 

That said, a partial filled die is a possibility, but I am going to lean towards die deterioration seeing how close the L in LIBERTY is nearly touching the rim and the lettering of the motto is closer to rim than usual, especially the W in WE. If I am not mistaken on LWC's the lettering shifting outwards toward the rim was a sign of worn and overused dies in this series. If I am not correct on that, I would appreciate the correction but I believe I learned that right here in this forum.

Totally agree on the die deterioration on some of the letters   was mostly that end on the s that had me lost...doesn't look step like and is so clearly defined    but again with ddo there should prob more   but then again the same with mdd.   Almost makes me wonder if something got in the die to make it such a clean line 

DDs can be very localized, especially for older coins.  For example,  shield borders or lines on the reverse for a capped bust half.  (see first image)

These die varieties are most likely more associated with older coins, but the point is simply that lines can be too long or too short in some instances.  This can apply to lines, numbers, letters, serifs, etc, particularly in a repunch situation.

"Several lines of stripes 1 through 5 extend into crossbars with line 1 of stripe 5 penetrating to crossbar 5." (see second image)

There are literally hundreds of these sort of particular die exceptions.

There are numerous die variety sources that list a coin and the associated die varieties.  There may be a library that lists possible die attributes and the coins that have them, but I have not seen any comprehensive ones.  If I am not able to find one, then perhaps I can make that as a project.

b1.jpg

817854-4.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

Um... What?  Hies talking about exactly what's posted?  Saying that it could be ddo. Just extremely localized is possible.read up. It was said that ddo would be expected on multiple spots not just on the one letter.

On 11/13/2023 at 5:52 PM, Kerrykz said:

Um... What?  Hies talking about exactly what's posted?  Saying that it could be ddo. Just extremely localized is possible.read up. It was said that ddo would be expected on multiple spots not just on the one letter.

I'm sorry. I should have said, All members. Don't ignore @dprince1138 Report him to the mods. That's the only way to get rid of his off topic post and false information. 

Multiple dd locations are not uncommon.  Here is the 1st one that I came across when doing a search.  Multiple DDs on different structures.  Another task that I am thinking about doing is improving the search engine on this source site.  (I am a retired database engineer, specializing in data mining).

The O-108 is a doubled die error reverse. There is doubling on the upper side of the left wing tip to to the left of all three claws and the left talon. The doubling is strongest  on the three lower pairs of leaves, berries and berry stems of the olive branch. Light doubling is seen on the second and third talons and back of the two lower arrowheads. This was caused when the hub (which consists of the eagle/arrows/olive branch image) was a little off during the second impression into the die.

411930-1820O-108AU58r.jpg

Thanks much.  Lots of useful info.... Didn't really expect it to be something particularly valuable.  Just couldn't find anything on it... Having something just interesting and weird finds are pretty awesome even if it's nothing particularly valuable. (to me).  I couldn't find any ddos at all listed on variety Vista. But haven't looked at doubledie before.  Thanks much again !