• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 quarter, broadstruck or damage?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I have been meaning to post this for a while, but have been a bit busy. 1942 quarter that seems to have the outer edges of the letters stamped incorrectly. Is this damage or is this something that occurred when it was broad struck? Any helpful insight is appreciated, or thoughts of how this could of happened. 

VideoCapture_20231111-021207.jpg

VideoCapture_20231111-021245.jpg

VideoCapture_20231111-021315.jpg

VideoCapture_20231111-021325.jpg

VideoCapture_20231111-022600.jpg

Edited by smashan8
Added photo

Smashan8,

Hello and welcome to this forum.  I will admit, I am not an expert on broadstrike coins, but I think maybe it was 81yrs. of hard living that happened to this coin.  I am just a bit, or two, over half the age of this coin and it looks better than me on some days. 

Thank you both for the opinions. I did see on another forum of ngc where it was mentioned about being stuck in a dryer or machine that can cause it. But I wasn't exactly sure. And yes for this to be 1942 it looks better then how I feel most days lol. 

On 11/11/2023 at 2:37 AM, dprince1138 said:

This condition is probably caused by some sort of constant pressure\movement along the edge of the coin and was eventually ground down.  I do not believe that it is something that had originated at the mint.  

Washington quarter die varieties

20190203_20190203_031104-ccfopt-ccfopt.jpg

20190203_20190203_031244-ccfopt-ccfopt.jpg

Yeah that makes sense. I've been doing some research to learn more about the mint process, when coins first came out, it's interesting how times have changed. Thank you for this helpful response. 

If the edges were rolled down it would likely get larger and damage the reeding.  Is the reeding at the edge intact, and can you measure the average diameter to 0.1mm?

It doesn't look broadstruck, but may have been struck on a planchet without a proper rim from the upsetting machine, possibly from a slightly undersized blank being fed into that machine.  A proper rim is there in part to protect against that type of wear.

That's very heavy wear, in which the rims are worn away (condemning it to the lower grades even if it weren't damaged). Dryer coins have a different and less natural-looking form of damage.

On 11/11/2023 at 9:37 AM, smashan8 said:

The rim in intact

With the reeding intact it's not broadstruck or rolled edges, so no need to measure anything.  Just a little more wear at the rims than I would have expected.  But it is silver.

This is simply what a coin looks like when it is worn down to About Good condition. The largely incomplete or missing rims are usually an indicator of that and lower grades. As noted, the presence of edge reeding is also an indicator that the coin is not broadstruck. A broadstruck coin is created by the collar being missing or having slipped below the level where the coin is struck, and edge reeding on coins that are supposed to have it is created by grooves in the collar.

I am casting another vote for the heavy wear camp. In ANA grading standards (The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins, 6th Edition, p27), it is when a coin is AG 3 when the actual rims are worn enough to blend into the fields and lettering which also causes the lettering to wear as there is no longer a rim to protect the details of the coin. At Fair 2, rims are flat or missing and the coin may have serious nicks, dents or defects.

I would say the OP's coin is AG details due to some of the heavy scratches on the obverse. Not an error and definitely not a broadstrike.