• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 U.S. quarter dollar
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  Please post full, cropped photos of each side of the coin as well as closeups of the areas you think show doubling.

Based on the current photos, your coin appears to have strike doubling, also known as machine or mechanical doubling, which is extremely common and not of interest or value to knowledgeable collectors. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com) for a full explanation.

Thank you very much for your honest reply. That clears a lot of questions I had regarding this coin and more than a few others as well. I didn't think there would be this many errors coming from our mintages. I do think I have other coins with different errors. Should I post them in this thread or start a new one? Thank you all for taking time out of your day to reply and educate me better on worthless machine doubling.

Welcome

Please post each coin on it’s own thread with a clear picture of both sides plus a closeup of    
your area of concern. It gets confusing with more than one coin per thread.

Also FYI, a Doubled Die is a variety, not an error. There is a big difference between the two.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:07 AM, Chizin said:

The last 2 photos are at an angle

That is only at a slight angle that may not clearly show the height of doubling per the infographic I posted above.  You really need to start with looking at the edge and turn the coin in your hand while viewing it with at least a 10x mag glass or loupe.  That is one of the many disadvantages of using a scope to view coins, along with seeing too many minor imperfections and not being able to see cartwheeling from luster.