• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting looking coin cabinet

17 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2023 at 8:17 AM, Just Bob said:

That's impressive. I can't imagine how much time it would take to build something like that.

...in the 16th century prob a year or more, now with a couple 3D printers n a few nerds maybe 2 weeks...ive seen a few similar but not that extensive in auctions in London over the years...one of the more demanding aspects would have been obtaining the properly aged wood that would not warp, shrink or split n the minor consideration of affording all the requisite coins plus deciding whether to go au or unc...the trials n tribulations of coin collecting....

On 11/10/2023 at 6:17 AM, Just Bob said:

That's impressive. I can't imagine how much time it would take to build something like that.

Not that long, doesn't look to be much bigger than a jewelry box and the construction is much like one.   The real concern is as mentioned above, the type and age of the wood used.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 11/10/2023 at 10:26 AM, Coinbuf said:

Not that long, doesn't look to be much bigger than a jewelry box and the construction is much like one.   The real concern is as mentioned above, the type and age of the wood used.

Lol, I have spent over 2/3 of my life studying the fineries of meats and spirits aged or cured in wood. Mostly from barrels. 🤔 and of course the smoke house.  Very nice coin collection box but I too would be concerned with the wood’s sap/sugars affect on the coins preservation. Maybe if the coin slots were sized to fit capsules and used for conversation pieces it would work great. 

The other thing I wonder is what would it weigh if it were fully loaded? I know my SDB currently weighs a ton.

I also would want my coins at least in something and not sitting in "open air". I agree with the others, even though it is made of wood, we do know that the old holders made of PVC that the PVC leached into the coins, and that if there was something in the wood that the same could happen.

I know nothing about furniture-making trade but would assume the trace vapors of stains or lacquers -- or even formaldehyde would be a concern.

It is of little comfort to find a notice in a brand-new oak filing cabinet advising it be kept in a well-ventilated area due to a chemical or resin that had been found to cause cancer as detailed in Proposition X, State of California.

this is one of those problems that keeps me up at night and is so frustrating not being able to afford something better, and everything I do get I find out is somehow worse. 

I'd think ideally you'd want an all glass cabinet with something on the outside to keep out light, or maybe a safe with a mylar interior liner? Safeflips are mylar, right?

How do you remove potential chemical contaminants from the air (the kind that go through a HEPA filter)? Would an activated carbon filter help or make things worse and cause carbon spots? I had an activated carbon filter for a few months and it just occurred to me the other day it might be worse than nothing now I'm freaked out about how to clean that off everything. 

Is vacuum sealing 2x2 boxes safe or is that just going to cause the paper to outgas sulfur?

I wonder if wood that is almost 450 years old still could cause problems for coins. Not my area of expertise by any means and something I would not normally think about. Interesting question, however.

Wood is not really a good idea for coin storage. Even with old wood, you still have to machine it. The fresh surfaces will start pulling moisture from the air in the room. That moisture may start a new wave of outgassing. The type of wood is also a big factor. I don't know of any type of wood finish that is safe around coins.

On 11/11/2023 at 10:32 AM, ldhair said:

Wood is not really a good idea for coin storage. Even with old wood, you still have to machine it. The fresh surfaces will start pulling moisture from the air in the room. That moisture may start a new wave of outgassing. The type of wood is also a big factor. I don't know of any type of wood finish that is safe around coins.

I wonder ? I have all my ASE's in airtight holders in a oak cigar box that is inside a safe ? But then again they are only bullion.:roflmao: I do have some other things in there also like my 66 and 67 SMS mint boxes. All that stuff seams like it is dry. Although gas is dry also. I just keep checking on them every couple of months just to be sure.

Edited by J P M

If the recovery years ago of the so-called Dead Sea Scrolls is any indication, the ideal storage environment would be a dry, clay vessel in a climate-controlled space. And papyrus is a lot more delicate than metals. The only other ideal environments are down in the depths of the Black Sea or the surface of the moon -- both devoid of oxygen.

On 11/11/2023 at 8:31 PM, Henri Charriere said:

If the recovery years ago of the so-called Dead Sea Scrolls is any indication, the ideal storage environment would be a dry, clay vessel in a climate-controlled space. And papyrus is a lot more delicate than metals. The only other ideal environments are down in the depths of the Black Sea or the surface of the moon -- both devoid of oxygen.

...i believe u can get that in tanks delivered rite to ur door, if u hurry maybe it will arrive before its too late for u....