• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unicorns
1 1

5 posts in this topic

This coin, center, was reclaimed discarded from a coinstar machine reject bin earlier today, I believe it is a standard penny minted onto the wrong core,  I know transition errors of this type are valuable, I will be weighing it tomorrow at a pawnshop and I will see if their XRF will identify its composition. This sample is a full 1/16th" larger than a standard cent. Do any coin people have an opinion?

Slide6.JPG

Slide7.JPG

Slide8.JPG

Slide9.JPG

Slide10.JPG

Slide11.JPG

Welcome to the Forum

That is not an error or struck on the wrong planchet, it is what is known as a “Texas Cent”.   
It has been pounded between two pieces of leather which has removed the copper and   
has expanded the zinc core. We see these periodically on the forum. There is no value to it    
except as a curiosity piece. Do not waste your time taking it to a coin dealer.

FYI, it couldn’t be a wrong planchet as it would be too large to fit in a 1 cent collar.

Edited by Greenstang

I also agree that this is a "Texas cent" as that is the first thing I thought when I saw its size. In one of the photos it looks slightly out of round to me which would happen during the hammering process and would be an element difficult to control with nothing to keep the shape exact as the coin expands in size. It is not counterfeit, per se, but it is modified or altered, whichever term you would associate more with.