• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - coin die varieties
1 1

107 posts in this topic

On another side note.  I began posting the rarity rating when I was asked about an 1807 half dollar, with an R1 rated die variety (O-112), that I had listed.  I explained to the requester the details and that this was not a very rare type.

Of the 10 1807 O-112 half dollars currently listed on ebay, only one indicates R1.  It is not simple to find rarity designations.

o112.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/28/2023 at 9:08 AM, dprince1138 said:

On another side note.  I began posting the rarity rating when I was asked about an 1807 half dollar, with an R1 rated die variety (O-112), that I had listed.  I explained to the requester the details and that this was not a very rare type.

Of the 10 1807 O-112 half dollars currently listed on ebay, only one indicates R1.  It is not simple to find rarity designations.

o112.jpg

Pretty simple to understand dprince.  You don’t see R1 or R2 that often as it is irrelevant to selling such an item.  There is no premium whatsoever for the most common varieties.  Imagine offering something for sale, and the sales pitch was, “this is the most common type/variety for the series”.  For someone selling coins and having 2200+ feedback on eBay, it’s concerning to me (and I assume many others) that you do not seem to understand even the basic information about numismatics.  Plus your attitude and “personality” are both poor at best.  This community (not this forum but the coin community) is very close knit, it would be in your best interest if you are planning to continue selling to maybe relook at your approach, because you seriously have all the red flags and that doesn’t often have a good outcome in the long term.  By being here, you are exposed to a lot more true collectors and we all talk a lot!  

On 11/28/2023 at 12:14 PM, Newenglandrarities said:

You don’t see R1 or R2 that often as it is irrelevant to selling such an item.

You got the typical non engagement response designed to inflame. Please report his post even if it is this non engaging type. The mods need more reporting to stop this. He refuses to participate in constructive discussion or reply with a response related to a direct question and needs to be reported for violating forum guidelines.

What is failed to be understood is that 99% of coins by definition are R1. There is no sense listing every 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent with an R rating. Or every 1979 D Susan B Anthony. Even the trade dollars I cherish don't need to be listed with a rarity number. Top sellers usually only begin to include R numbers at R4 and up.

Making a big deal of this is just another way he is self promoting this terrible thread and shady eBay business.

And yea, we know...following this will be the junk reply of thanks for the bump or thanks for your participation.

Edited by powermad5000

On 11/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, powermad5000 said:

You got the typical non engagement response designed to inflame. Please report his post even if it is this non engaging type. The mods need more reporting to stop this. He refuses to participate in constructive discussion or reply with a response related to a direct question and needs to be reported for violating forum guidelines.

What is failed to be understood is that 99% of coins by definition are R1. There is no sense listing every 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent with an R rating. Or every 1979 D Susan B Anthony. Even the trade dollars I cherish don't need to be listed with a rarity number. Top sellers usually only begin to include R numbers at R4 and up.

Making a big deal of this is just another way he is self promoting this terrible thread and shady eBay business.

And yea, we know...following this will be the junk reply of thanks for the bump or thanks for your participation.

Oh I have.  I’m sure many others have as well.  I think it is very important to point out here that (most) everyone in this group would be happy to help someone like dprince if it wasn’t for their horrible approach and complete lack of understanding of how to talk/engage with the community.  Nobody needs a “smartass” who just copies online information, of varying accuracy.  

This person could have helped his understanding of coins the last few weeks, instead that person does not realize that they have done some serious damage to their “aspiring” business and pretty much has no chance of recovery on any major coin forum as many of us are members of them all.  I’ve never seen such a “hang yourself” approach in all the years of reading this forum (though I have seen a few do it on other sites)

@dprince1138

Do you have interest in being a coin dealer?  If so, you should really at this point try a new approach.  Unknown to you is that your name has circulated a lot outside of this forum and you posted your eBay name.  So, you may now want to take a new approach before you are literally blacklisted by many of collector and dealer.  

I now thank you for your participation.

On 11/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, dprince1138 said:

I will post and sell coins on ebay as I see fit.

I don’t disagree, nobody stopping you from that.  Just understand there are a lot of “watchdogs” and now you opened yourself up to that.  I am not one to tell anyone how to do things, but at least I got you to respond with something other than “thanks for your participation/bump”. 

Seriously, try to repair your relationship with this forum.  Then, try harder outside of this forum, because your reputation is very much compromised.  

I know reaching out to the moderator here has not removed this “person” but let’s give dprince another chance.  My suggestions above are correct and I ask dprince now here to start trying better.  I hope he/she can do that.  It’s pretty scary to believe with what you are posting, and then seeing you’ve sold to so many people.  In general, this is the issue/problem these forums are trying to eliminate.  So, act accordingly and try to improve your image

On 11/28/2023 at 3:37 PM, dprince1138 said:

I will post and sell coins on ebay as I see fit.

That is your right to do as you see fit within their listing guidelines.  As it is the right of members here to question that when it appears shady or where you may be improperly using the NGC forum to support that, point out incorrect or self-serving posts, and to report listings that may have inaccurate or misleading information. 

I now have all 4 coins of reasonable value that I believe to have a die variety of R3 or R4 in hand.  However, I believe that the 1890 Seated Liberty dime is a die variety F-111, R3.  I will send these 4 to NGC.  Interestingly, the 1890 does not have an example in PCGS and is not listed in NGC varieties.  Also, the 1832 Capped Bust, that I suspect is a die varity of JR-4, does not have an example listed in the NGC varieties.

Once I have them graded, I will put them up for auction on ebay.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:30 PM, J P M said:

Does NGC even label die varieties on their holders?

Only if NGC finds them significant enough to be listed in NGC VarietyPlus and generally only upon payment of an $18 variety attribution fee. The 1890 Seated dime varieties mentioned by the OP are not listed on VarietyPlus, only the F-105 and F-106 misplaced date varieties, which are also listed in the Cherrypickers Guide. Seated Liberty Dimes (1837-1891) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).

I'm not opposed to "talking ones book" as we say in my trade....but the reason these forums exist are NOT to indulge commerce or facilitate sales...it's to learn about coins and the hobby and related items.

Ebay, Craigslist, Etsy, etc....all do sales and I think have their own forums, too.

I certainly give a wide berth on what is appropriate here -- I like to go off-tangent every now-and-then, too xD -- but certainly when someone comes across this place for the 1st time we want them to see helpful, engaging, though-provoking discussions, threads, etc.  I'm doing my part to participate in others and also have created a couple of active threads myself.

That is all....(thumbsu

Also, the rarity rating seems to be  dependent on grade as well.  I had been researching a coin that was desribed as being an R6 at an MS grade, as well as the market value increasing dramatically at XF, so the assumption was that the coin was an R4 at this grade level.  The defaulr rarity was considered as R3.

I submitted my first coin set to NGC.  I decided to only send two, the 1866 half dollar (WB-103) and the 1890 dime (F-111).  However, I am somewhat concerned in that one variety is not listed on the NGC varities site, and the other has many attributes not listed.

seatedhalfobverse1866.jpg

seatedhalfreverse1866.jpg

1866SWB102a.jpg

1866SWB102b.png

SEATEDDIMEOBVERSE1890b.jpg

SEATEDDIMEREVERSE1890b.jpg

1890f111.jpg

On 12/5/2023 at 10:55 PM, VKurtB said:

Both of the coins above are clearly harshly cleaned and will not get a straight grade. 

True, but at least that way if the topic author offers the coins on eBay as is apparently his intent, prospective purchasers will be on notice as to what they're getting.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:19 PM, Sandon said:

True, but at least that way if the topic author offers the coins on eBay as is apparently his intent, prospective purchasers will be on notice as to what they're getting.

People with ethics like his will merely crack them out and sell them raw, conveniently leaving out the damage. He has demonstrated beyond any doubt that he’s a crook, just from his actions here on this site.

Edited by VKurtB

I had not yet packaged my coins, as I am waiting to receive the 2.5" plastic flips to put them in.  I had submitted my invoice, but will not be charged until delivery of the coins.

I was researching an 1854 O Seated Liberty half dollar, with a die variety that was not listed on the NGC Varieties website.  This coin seems to have a half of a dozen die varieties, but NGC only lists one, so I decided to search and find an NGC rated coin with an unlisted die variety, but  trying my utmost, I could not find any.  Any coin graded by NGC with an unlisted die variety only indicated the grade and the die variety was listed by the seller.

I had originally gone to PCGS, but they were much more expensive, i.e., membership cost $69 vs $25 for NGC, as well as all services being more expensive.  However, if the specific goal is to validate a die variety, particularly one that is not listed on the NGC Varieties website, then the coins need to be sent elsewhere.

For such a self-aggrandizing service as NGC, it is rather ludicrous that they do not have the capacity to identify an enormous number of significant  die varieties.

Edited by dprince1138