• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Half dollar 1795 flowing hair
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi

New to this website, I World like to know if this "half dollar flowing hsir" from 1795 is authentic or a copy, it is so beautyfull that I have my doubts. It's Wright is 14 46 gramos, which is a decent Wright.

Thanks you for your opiniones.

Greetings

Screenshot_20231106_110308_Wallapop.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_110316_Wallapop.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_110325_Wallapop.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_110339_Wallapop.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I'm pretty sure that your purported 1795 Flowing Hair half dollar is a counterfeit, probably of recent Asian origin. Among other factors, the weight is supposed to be approximately 13.48 grams for this issue, the edge lettering style is wrong, and the color and surface texture are suspicious. 

If you think that this is actually a genuine coin, you shouldn't be touching the surfaces with your bare hands.

Thanks a lot

Effectively,  the style of the lettering feel me suspicious if I compare with the photos of the authentic ones .

Like this, I 'm sure ....that was a coin for sale, I don't buy it and I don't lost my money. One time more, thank you

Have a nice day, greetings

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for posting good photos with this question along with the accompanying information from your research.

I can tell you that one look at the date numerals and I have to say with certainty it is a fake. If I am not mistaken, one just like this crossed this forum a few months ago. Probably made from the same set of dies. These Flowing Hair dollars are quite expensive and their mintage numbers are low. While there may be some loose (not graded by a TPG), I would say due to their value and the fact of numerous counterfeits still being made to this day, that most of these are in slabs and reside in various collections. 

I am glad you did not pay anything for this coin, and you can speak of it as a learning lesson.

I don't think the date is that far off, but there are other significant differences comparing it to genuine examples such as the portrait face as well as the eagles wing notches and wreath on the reverse in particular, which are not even close.  That with the weight being so far off and it's very likely a counterfeit.

@Attribal If you don't have die variety references for that coin series or know how to do the noted comparisons then you likely should stick with slabbed coins.

1795 (P) 50C Comparison_Page_1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, EagleRJO said:

If you don't have die variety references for that coin series or know how to do the noted comparisons then you likely should stick with slabbed coins.

Was this directed at the OP?

On 11/8/2023 at 12:49 AM, powermad5000 said:

Was this directed at the OP?

Yes

Also to all, please disregard any comments which may lead people to be fooled into thinking you can read a few linked articles about counterfeits and look at some genuine examples to plow ahead buying raw coins that are not in grading service slabs.  That would be doing a disservice to those reading that.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/15/2024 at 10:03 AM, JYoung5050 said:

Definite current counterfeit; I wrote a Coin Week article on these, There is also a 1794 dated version with matching marks.

Your "Fun With Fakes" series in Coin Week should be required reading for newer collectors considering buying raw coins.  

On 1/15/2024 at 5:14 PM, EagleRJO said:

Your "Fun With Fakes" series in Coin Week should be required reading for newer collectors considering buying raw coins.  

I appreciate it!