• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Philadelphia wheat cent. Die chip/ DD?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello I came across this 1955 Philadelphia wheat cent it has a pretty nice side ship on the date. I was wondering if that would give the coin value. Also around the rim on the lettering possibly doubling or is it dye deterioration? Need some help. Thank you

IMG_20231105_200856.jpg

IMG_20231105_195954.jpg

IMG_20231105_200043.jpg

IMG_20231105_195706.jpg

IMG_20231105_195627.jpg

IMG_20231105_195721.jpg

IMG_20231105_195747.jpg

IMG_20231105_195550.jpg

IMG_20231105_195822.jpg

IMG_20231105_195612.jpg

Die chips are extremely common on U.S. coins, especially cents, from the 1950s and early 1960s. Coins with such chips have no premium value, although there was once a fad of collecting cents that have a die chip between the "B" and "E" of LIBERTY, which were known as "BIEs" or "LIBIERTYs".  See "BIE" or "LIBIERTY" Lincoln Cents - US, World, and Ancient Coins - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards.

The slightly distorted reverse lettering is likely the result of die deterioration and also adds no value. (Coins are struck from dies, while dye is used to color cloth.)

Your coin has one or more die chips which do not add any value to the coin, but it also has wear and some significant damage/hits. The lettering in question is due to die deterioration from being struck by overused dies.

It seems you are recognizing some of the factors on the surface of this coin so I say keep going forward in your research! (thumbsu

On 11/5/2023 at 5:34 PM, Rykel said:

Hello I came across this 1955 Philadelphia wheat cent it has a pretty nice side ship on the date. I was wondering if that would give the coin value.

It seems you are preoccupied with a coins value. This is a common mistake new collectors often make. Coins are only as valuable as your knowledge will let you assume. This makes knowledge MORE valuable than ANY coin. The first step in error coin collecting is to learn exactly what you are looking for, at and why. Searching for error coins such as this with a microscope is not recommended. Errors that have value (DDO DDR RPMs)are easily seen with the naked eye. Minor more obscure mint errors only seen under 5x magnification do exist but do not bring significant premiums at sale. Do not waste your time doing this unless you just need to do it. Coin microscopes are usually only used to attribute varieties on worn coins or determine damage types among other select numismatic uses. Microscopes may sometimes be used to identify clashed die strikes as well among other mint errors when needed but not often.  If you really want to find a DDO you really need to learn more about the minting process and the ways these coin are produced. Then you will never waste any time you will get directly to the real search. Goodluck

While I agree that there is no numismatic premium for die chips... your example does have some very visible ones to study.  Keep on going and train your eyes.  This coin will not make you money, but it's an interesting way to educate yourself.