• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 small date penny
1 1

23 posts in this topic

It is the 1982-D small date copper cent from the Denver mint with a weight of 3.11g which is the super rare coin you may be thinking of.  That is not one of them since there is no "D" mintmark, and you would have better odds hitting the Powerball jackpot.  If you still decide to look, as some do no matter how unlikely it would be to find, see the attached infographic.

1982LincolnCentInfographic.jpg.214a2f8f59c8885e2d94c774d9f5d19d.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

This forum is not your personal " coin pre grading service". We can answer questions but asking to grade or critique individual coins is NOT what this forum is about. You must learn the BASICS of coin collecting to even understand some answers given here. If you can not recognize a common circulated coin with no value you need to learn more before you even consider having ANY coin graded. 

On 11/4/2023 at 9:30 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

This forum is not your personal " coin pre grading service". We can answer questions but asking to grade or critique individual coins is NOT what this forum is about. You must learn the BASICS of coin collecting to even understand some answers given here. If you can not recognize a common circulated coin with no value you need to learn more before you even consider having ANY coin graded. 

Do you work for NGC? Or are you an authorized spokesman? You can't tell me what to do... I can post whatever I want so as long I don't anyone off at NGC. Lol... I was warned about the haters and it's true. Just for this I will continue to post more. My next coin will be a 1982d small date bronze Lincoln Cent and I have 3 (three) of them! Looks like I hit the PowerBall while getting struck by lightning. 

Have a good day 👍 😆

To the OP, Mike does not speak for all of us. You do see the other considerate responses in this thread. Feel free to post and ask questions. That is what this newbie section of the forum is for. You do have a small date 1982 Lincoln cent but unfortunately it is not worth grading unless it were in pristine condition and red in color and the only ones who would then have it graded in perfect condition would be those needing it for a slot in a competitive registry set. I would keep this in an album as a variety however.

On 11/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, SalRos315 said:

I was warned about the haters and it's true. Just for this I will continue to post more.

You get that with a few bad apples on just about any internet forum these days, and why they have the "ignore" feature mentioned.

I hope you do stick around continuing to post more coins and reading topics as you can learn a lot about coin collecting here. ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/4/2023 at 4:47 PM, l.cutler said:

Yes, post away, that is what the forum is for!  We were all new at one time, us old timers didn't have the advantage of learning from so many experienced collectors like todays collectors though!

Yes, we had books, and coin clubs, and in-person human mentors … Hey wait! All those things still exist!

On 11/4/2023 at 5:28 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

This is not your personal pre coin grading forum. There I said it again. Hate me

He’s far from the first down that rabbit hole. We can hope he learns what the right questions are. If it becomes chronic, that’s the problem.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:43 PM, VKurtB said:

We can hope he learns what the right questions are.

The OP was asking if the coin was "worth getting graded", or if they should submit it to a TPG in my translation.  To me they seemed to be really asking if it could be a rare bronze cent from 1982 since they provided the 3.1g weight, which is often asked related to that, and not what a specific grade for the coin would be.

There are many others who ask a common question related to if a particular coin should be submitted thinking it might be an error, variety or otherwise valuable coin.  A common response is that a coin is or more frequently isn't worth submitting, without even addressing a grade although that is a factor in value.

I generally dont provide any opinions on specific grades unless it looks like they took the time to learn some basics and offer thier own opinion on the grade.  I mean even I get stuck sometimes when it seems right in between two grades, and ask for some feedback.  But I do provide my opinion on the grade.  And I still haven't figured out "+" grades, and don't know if I ever will. ;)

On 11/5/2023 at 12:12 AM, EagleRJO said:

And I still haven't figured out "+" grades, and don't know if I ever will.

Don't feel bad. I have not figured the + out either. I have two sets of different year Morgans in the same grade, one a MS 63 and one a MS 63+ for both sets. I have held these together side by side and have looked at each for probably 30-60 minutes each and have not been able to find where the "break line" is either in surface or in markings, or number of marks. Both seem to have the same just in different spots on the coins. To me, the + on them is more related to eye appeal as the + coins seem to have better luster.

On 11/5/2023 at 1:25 AM, powermad5000 said:

Both seem to have the same just in different spots on the coins. To me, the + on them is more related to eye appeal as the + coins seem to have better luster.

Sometimes location is a factor when in a more prominent location as identified in the ANA standards, and it doesn't seem to me it's always about better eye appeal.  I have also stared at a straight grade and a "+" grade with what looked like similar marks with similar appeal just scratching my head.

Well maybe one of these days in a galaxy far far away the light bulb will go on, but I'm not that worried about it for now.  Then again if I kept at it the bulb might go on sooner rather than later. (:

On 11/5/2023 at 1:08 AM, EagleRJO said:

Well maybe one of these days in a galaxy far far away the light bulb will go on, but I'm not that worried about it for now.  Then again if I kept at it the bulb might go on sooner rather than later.

Then we agree that if either of us is able to make the light bulb go off, we shall immediately inform the other as to the reason and hopefully before both of us end up in the loony bin trying to figure it out. xD