• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die crack or planchette blister?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2023 at 7:16 PM, Rykel said:

Understand what you're saying and I tried pushing down on it. It is raised up and solid. 100% raised out of the coin solid as a rock. So what you're saying if it was caused by gases and it was a blister it wouldn't be solid correct? 

Does this mean it is a die crack?

On a 1984 cent, it is virtually impossible to be anything but gas bubbles. Trust me.

On 11/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, Rykel said:

I tried pushing down on it. It is raised up and solid.

Then I think either it's a die crack or a break in the thin cladding that induced corrosion below, which expands and pushes up the adjacent cladding.  You would need to look carefully for any break or scratch in the cladding with like a 40x loupe or a scope.

I think it's a cladding break or scratch with corrosion, even if that may be hard to see.  It appears a little too straight and wide, particularly in spots around the date and shoulder, compared to most die cracks on coins I have seen, even relatively prominent ones like the attached die crack.

1000_ii22493350634022c0541.jpg

Since it's solid and does not seem to be consistent with a die crack, I think it's a corrosion induced solid blister like the attached from error-ref.com, and not a linear plating blister which would be hollow.  At least with how those terms are used on error-ref.com which makes a distinction between the two based on if the blister is solid or hollow.

Error-Ref.com Plating Defects:

"Plating blisters are hollow. They look similar to, but should not be confused with, solid blisters pushed up by subsurface corrosion."

There may be a snowballs chance that's a wide die crack being solid, even if it doesn't look like those I have seen.  Perhaps the coin was struck right before a die break and the significantly wider spots were edge spalling and widening of a crack leading up to the break.

That would take quite a lot of digging to find similar progressive cracks or cuds of the same coin with the die broken off where there is the line.  But I don’t really think so and it likely wouldn't be worth the effort, as even if a die crack that wouldn't add much value at all.

And a copper plated zinc 1984 (P) Lincoln cent with blisters has no added collector value in either case, regardless of any blister being poped either by checking it too forcefully or from the coin being in circulation. ;)

Example Corrosion Induced "Solid Blister":

Corrosion Induced Solid Blister Error-Ref.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/3/2023 at 2:27 AM, EagleRJO said:

Since it's solid and does not seem to be consistent with a die crack, I think it's a corrosion induced solid blister like the attached from error-ref.com, and not a linear plating blister which would be hollow.  At least with how those terms are used on error-ref.com which makes a distinction between the two based on if the blister is solid or hollow.

And a copper plated zinc 1984 (P) Lincoln cent with blisters has no added collector value in either case, regardless of any blister being poped either by checking it too forcefully or from the coin being in circulation. ;)

Corrosion Induced Solid Blister Error-Ref.jpg

Even a die crack is not considered to be valuable, just a neat thing to find .

For those scoffers, I have researched and found what seems to be an extensive source for Capped Bust half varieties.  This document describes the crack indicated above as a die crack.

DSPpg1.jpg

DSPpg2.jpg

DSPpg11.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/4/2023 at 5:28 AM, dprince1138 said:

I researched and found what seems to be an extensive source for Capped Bust half varieties. 

Excuse me, but what does this have anything to do whatsoever with a modern Lincoln cent???

On 11/4/2023 at 6:28 AM, dprince1138 said:

I researched and found what seems to be an extensive source for Capped Bust half varieties.  This document describes the crack indicated above as a die crack.

Oh boy, misattributing coins again.  The op's coin is a 1984 (P) Lincoln Cent!  doh!