• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die crack or planchette blister?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Based on the photos, I think that the raised line across the obverse of varying width is most likely due to a defect in the copper plating on this 1984 cent. Such defects are quite common on earlier (1982 to mid 1990s) copper plated zinc cents. The narrow raised line on the reverse that runs from the right side of the base of the Lincoln Memorial to the rim, on the other hand, is likely a die crack. Neither of these defects is usually regarded as a significant "mint error" that would be of any value to knowledgeable collectors.  The coin might bring a small premium as a novelty.  You are welcome to collect such coins if they are to your liking.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:01 AM, dprince1138 said:

The line is very typical of a die crack.  From what I have seen, die cracks can be either raised, such as in your image, or a true "crack".

817453-2.jpg

Whats a true crack? All the die cracks Ive seen on the coins have been raised. 

On 11/1/2023 at 11:24 PM, Rykel said:

I wanted to share it here to get some more opinions. What type of error is this?

Considering the date and appearance I would tend to agree with a linear plating blister from gasses building up below the coin surface.  That would collapse if you gently pushed down on it with say a q-tip.

It could also be a scratch or break in the outer cladding, which you may not see without good magnification.  That can cause corrosion to push the thin cladding up, and randomly widen in spots like near the date and shoulder.  This would be a solid corrosion blister in the same general plating defects category at error-ref.com.

https://www.error-ref.com/blisteredplating/

On 11/2/2023 at 12:01 AM, dprince1138 said:

... die cracks can be either raised, such as in your image, or a true "crack".

Same thing.  A true die crack is raised on the coin, but typically in a thin jagged pattern.  Die cracks can present as being significant when they are bi-level, but it doesn't have that appearance.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/1/2023 at 9:28 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Whats a true crack? All the die cracks Ive seen on the coins have been raised. 

If he is trying to refer to a cracked planchet then yes those are usually a crack with a depression like my 1942 Merc below.

1942 Mercury Dime Cracked Planchet.jpg

Looking at the 50c coin, directly under the first U in UNUM and on the inside of the right facing wing, I see trace outlines, possibly remnants of a die clash kookiness?  . . . I see dead people too. . . (strike that, relevance your honor?)

image.png.9ad307e50b282bb5673d752aa0bf91f3.png                    image.png.bd1917f0a7b54e08ff3de1fa4875a9d1.png

Edited by cobymordet

On 11/2/2023 at 1:08 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

If he is trying to refer to a cracked planchet then yes those are usually a crack with a depression like my 1942 Merc below.

1942 Mercury Dime Cracked Planchet.jpg

That would be known as a cracked planchett then wouldnt it? Instead of a die crack. Any crack in the die it is gonna leave a raised line. Probably meant a planchett crack and misidentified it as a die crack. 

On 11/2/2023 at 2:30 AM, Hoghead515 said:

That would be known as a cracked planchett then wouldnt it? Instead of a die crack.

Yes, a crack could be either a die crack, which is raised on a struck coin, or a planchet crack which would be incuse.  But he said a "die crack could be either ..." which might make sense if you take out "die" there.

I don't think it's either, but may be a crack in the thin outer cladding which bubbled up from corrosion as it appears raised and randomly wider to me.

@Hoghead515 I have a Merc with a partial "crack" and you are correct. It was mint error graded as Defective Planchet, Planchet Crack. An actual split in the coin itself is a planchet issue. As @EagleRJO aptly pointed out, any crack in the die is going to let metal flow into the crack of the die during the strike which will cause a raised line on the surface of the struck coin.

I agree with the others that this coin has an obverse linear plating bubble, and the reverse has a small die chip on it by the memorial as well as another small plating bubble. Maybe with the coin in hand this could be disproved, but I have seen too many cents of this era with a myriad of plating issues (cracking, bubbling, chipping) and on the OP's somewhat worn cent, the potential for the environment to aggravate these types of issues. 

I would assume that a planchet crack is unique, relatively speaking.  The crack in the bust is displayed on all variety sources (O-108).  I have seen other cracks of this sort to varying degrees, but generally, they are small.

I see now where he said true crack. I apoligize. I thought it said, "die crack or true die crack".  Thats my bad @dprince1138. I read your reply wrong. Ive not had much sleep all week. We been working days and nights both. We was off last night but I couldnt sleep. Very exhausted. I read your reply wrong. But I dont think its a craked planchet if thats what you meant by true crack. Parts of it look raised to me in the picture. Looks like plate bubbling or something like that to me also.  

Spoiler

On 11/2/2023 at 2:15 AM, Lem E said:

IMO it’s too straight to be a die crack. Not saying it can’t happen, but usually a crack will follow the profile of something along its way and veer one way or another or hit a gap and stop. I do see sections that look like cracks and some that look smooth and bubbled. I say plating issue given the year of the coin and the issues they had with plating during that time. Still have them now. May be a combination of both.

I was thinking along the lines that possibly there was a crack in the dye and that caused the blistering.

The combination of two errors possibly. 

On 11/2/2023 at 5:57 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I thought it said, "die crack or true die crack".

I don't think you completely misread the post and it was very poorly worded, so I wouldn't "loose any sleep" over it. (:

On 11/2/2023 at 10:48 AM, Rykel said:

I was thinking along the lines that possibly there was a crack in the dye [die] and that caused the blistering.

@GBrad is right that those are two different things and wouldn't occur at the same spot.  However, per my post above there could have been a crack in the thin outer plating of the coin which allowed corrosion leading to blistering.  As noted more info is needed to really narrow it down.

On 11/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, EagleRJO said:

there could have been a crack in the thin outer plating of the coin which allowed corrosion leading to blistering.

YUP!!! Absolutely true. Sorry if I missed that in this thread. 👍

On 11/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, EagleRJO said:

I don't think you completely misread the post and it was very poorly worded, so I wouldn't "loose any sleep" over it. (:

@Hoghead515 works too much!!! He never sleeps cause he's always got coins on his mind!!!!! GET SOME REST MY BROTHER!!! 🥱😴

On 11/2/2023 at 6:11 PM, GBrad said:

Absolutely true. Sorry if I missed that in this thread

Different than what the op was asking about, but yea another possibility.  Some of these coins that aren't just straight damage like most are a mystery that is occasionally interesting to try to figure out.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/2/2023 at 12:50 AM, EagleRJO said:

blister from gasses building up below the coin surface.  That would collapse if you gently pushed down on it with say a q-tip

Understand what you're saying and I tried pushing down on it. It is raised up and solid. 100% raised out of the coin solid as a rock. So what you're saying if it was caused by gases and it was a blister it wouldn't be solid correct? 

Does this mean it is a die crack?