• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would grading help value of this coin thanks
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, EagleRJO said:

There are distinct differences between what raw coins will sell for and what coins graded and slabbed by a TPG will sell for, which is what I think the op means by "graded".

This is marketability of TPG holders. The coin in the holder is still the coin in the holder. You can also take two of the same coins slabbed of the same grade with one being toned and more dull on the luster spectrum, and another of the same grade having blast white or cartwheel luster and those two coins will sell for different prices due to eye appeal. Same grade, just one looks better to the eye and gets a better premium. And even on this forum we have argued the grade on the label versus the coin in the slab, so I respectfully disagree. I do agree that slabbed coins do offer a guarantee of being genuine and can make accessibility to coins to those entering the hobby who otherwise would not venture to buy raw coins. The point I was making to the OP, however, is no matter what, the reality is that a coin's condition is what it is no matter who grades it (either correctly or incorrectly), slabs it, or puts it in a flip, or adds it to an album. Previous damage will still be there. Previous cleaning will still be there. Toning or cartwheel luster will still be there. 

On 10/28/2023 at 9:50 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Have you read any books about coins and collecting? Do you have an interest in coins or are you merely looking to make money? Just because something is graded and encased in a plastic holder does not usually "increase rarity or value" unless the coin was rare and valuable to begin with. You need to slow down and learn before you waste time and money ...but alas most will not listen and heed off headstrong into the darkness and abyss of failure. Goodluck

Amen to this. I could tell you stories from the IMEX show in Nashville this past weekend that would curl your hair. Completely worthless coins being graded on PCGS show walkthrough tier. One dude wasted over $1000 on grading fees on coins worth maybe $85 tops.