• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would grading help value of this coin thanks
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I’m a novice and learning … I need to learn . Thank you 

would this coin benefit from a grade and case? I collect sports cards and comics and have graded them when trying to increase rarity and value. Does that also apply to coins. 
is this coin a decent candidate for my first submission, thanks Tom 

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

When you post photos we need to see the whole coin both sides, then you can post a closeup and questions about the area you are interested in.   As you posted only the closeup I assume you think this is a valuable doubled die coin.    But we cannot even tell what the date is to attempt to verify if there is a known doubled die for whatever date this coin is.   However, from your photos this looks like worthless strike doubling on a well circulated coin with plenty of hits and scratches worth face value of $.50.   This is known as a spender, but if you want to you can spend $40 on plastic, I would not recommend doing so unless I knew the date and could verify if it could be a known doubled die.

Edited by Coinbuf

Nice DDR.

What are you referring to as "first submission"?

Yes, grading always helps.  Generally, some sort of protecting material is useful.  Many collectors use the stapled cardboard method.  You can buy coin holders inexpensively from Amazon. 

Of course, to grade would require complete images of obverse and reverse.

Also, you may want to view similar coins on ebay, etsy or heritage auctions for comparable listings.

Sheldon coin grading scale - Wikipedia

Have you read any books about coins and collecting? Do you have an interest in coins or are you merely looking to make money? Just because something is graded and encased in a plastic holder does not usually "increase rarity or value" unless the coin was rare and valuable to begin with. You need to slow down and learn before you waste time and money ...but alas most will not listen and heed off headstrong into the darkness and abyss of failure. Goodluck

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/28/2023 at 7:45 PM, dprince1138 said:

Nice DDR.

This is strike doubling and not a DDR. You may not be qualified to make these statements to beginners if you yourself in your statements acknowledge you are one as well. The strike doubling is classic and obvious. This coin is worth face value. Period.

My error.

Many people confuse double die coins with double struck coins. The significant difference is that double-struck coins are hit twice by the same coin die during the striking process. A doubled die coin is produced when the coin die is not manufactured correctly. This manufacturing error leads to the appearance of two images on a single coin die. The more obvious and distinct the error is, the more the coin will be worth.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:28 PM, dprince1138 said:

Mach_Strike_Doub_lg.jpeg

Please start a new thread to discuss your coin it gets confusing when multiple coins are posted to the same thread.   Also please read the pinned post about posting etiquette, we need to see photos of the entire obverse and reverse and then any closeup of an area you have a question about.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:56 PM, Sandon said:

@Coinbuf--The photo posted by @dprince1138 is a photo from the NGC topic I linked provided as an "[e]xample of machine or strike doubling".  It is a close match to the flat, shelf-like strike doubling on the OP's coin. I don't know what his point is.

No one knows what @dprince1138's point is as he said nothing.

Back to @Coinbuf's first statement in this thread. There is no way of telling anything for sure without clear cropped photos of both sides of the coin. All we have so far is a 197X D Kennedy Half Dollar. We cannot attempt to say there is or is not any variety attribution without proper photos.

RE: "Would grading help value of this coin."

Nope. It's already worth 50-cents and having it "graded" will not increase the face value. It has no collector value.

I can see the diversity of knowledge on these boards. I can also see there are no clear answers.

My question was , “would a grade from a grader increase value? “
Yes it’s a 50-cent piece , and has this type of facility damage.

IMG_0730.jpeg

On 10/29/2023 at 1:37 PM, CREDTO51 said:

Reply to full pictures 

IMG_0720.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

Thank you for posting full shots of the coin. The obverse is out of orientation but it is workable. The coin is a piece with some MD from what I can see. 

On 10/29/2023 at 10:31 AM, CREDTO51 said:

I can see the diversity of knowledge on these boards. I can also see there are no clear answers.

My question was , “would a grade from a grader increase value? "

I think anyone (save one respondent that does not know about coins) that replied was very clear that sending a coin that has no special attributes, and in this condition, will not increase the value of the coin.   You would get better value from your money if you light a $100 bill on fire to stay warm than to have this coin graded.

I have no idea what you mean by "facility damage" as explained above this happens when the coin is struck and the die is loose in the press.   It causes the die to bounce and produce a second lower relief image as you see in your coin.   This is not damage, just poor production from an inattentive mint worker, it is very common and has no value to any knowledgeable collector.   It is also not a true DDR or double struck as was incorrectly posted above.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:33 AM, CREDTO51 said:

The topic of clear cropped photos. Please explain? 
on my computer screen they are clear. 

Your photos are slightly out of focus, not badly so but slightly.   As I said above we need clear, cropped, in focus photos taken straight on (not angled) to be able to provide you with good feedback.   Maybe you have heard the term "garbage in, garbage out", that is the case with photos, poor or incomplete photos result in poor or incomplete analysis.   This is the type of photo we would ideally like to see, straight on, evenly lit, in focus photos.   Then if you have an area of concern you can provide the closeup.

1940qdcomp (1).jpg

On 10/29/2023 at 1:33 PM, CREDTO51 said:

The topic of clear cropped photos. Please explain? 
on my computer screen they are clear. 

They may look clear, but when you zoom in they become blurry.  I don't think it's that important for this coin as there is only one minor attributable variety for a 1972-D 50C which is a FS-901 "No FG", and your coin is not that.  It appears to just be a circulated coin which has some minor machine doubling on the obverse which doesn't add value. 

On 10/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, CREDTO51 said:

Having a coin graded will increase it's value, even if only by a very small amount like with this coin.  A coin would need to be worth about several hundred dollars to break even with the grading cost covered by the increase in value having it graded.  That is not the case here, so people have been responding not to submit it for grading as you would lose money.

Edited by EagleRJO

IMG_0730.jpeg

The clear answer is you need to read. You also need to stop posting .

On 10/28/2023 at 8:06 PM, dprince1138 said:

My error.

Many people confuse double die coins with double struck coins. The significant difference is that double-struck coins are hit twice by the same coin die during the striking process. A doubled die coin is produced when the coin die is not manufactured correctly. This manufacturing error leads to the appearance of two images on a single coin die. The more obvious and distinct the error is, the more the coin will be worth.

No you are wrong and trying to be your own apologist. Educated coin collectors and Numismatist DO NOT confuse machine or strike doubling with doubled die coins. Ill bet you don't even know there are several classes of real doubling that have been exhaustively researched, cataloged and published. Most layman just like you think there's just one type..The coin has what appears to be doubled letters or numbers that's it its a DDR or DDO. Laughable. You need EDUCATION. 

@CREDTO51, whatever a coin's life has been, either well protected and properly stored, or well circulated, cleaned, and abused, grading in and of itself cannot change or add value to any coin. Grading is a subjective science (some will also say opinion) of the features and surface of a coin. Once a coin has sustained surface issues or damage, or has been cleaned, or any other of a number of ways a coin's surface is diminished from the time it is ejected from the press after being struck, grading is a description of its surface and of the presence of issues and damage, or lack of such at the present time of the grader viewing the coin.

A coin's value is tied to mintage number, rarity (survivability), and condition (which includes surface and strike). Grading does not change these factors.

I think where you are getting with your question about grading is the only way a TPG grading "adds value" to a coin is if the original grader (which could be less than knowledgeable) missed a key factor in their assessment and the coin either is graded higher than was previously thought or is given an attribute that was missed. HOWEVER, this is a matter of perspective. Those features were already there, just missed by an earlier grader's assessment. In reality, the coin itself did not "gain" value.

I don't agree that grading by a TPG does not add value.  There are distinct differences between what raw coins will sell for and what coins graded and slabbed by a TPG will sell for, which is what I think the op means by "graded".

Grading by a TPG doesn't change the coin, but changes the desirability in the eyes of many collectors which increases the prices they sell for.  Particularly with newer collectors not astute at accessing raw coins.  In some cases this difference is not that great, which I think is the case for the coin being discussed.

On 10/28/2023 at 10:45 PM, dprince1138 said:

Nice DDR.

What are you referring to as "first submission"?

Yes, grading always helps.  Generally, some sort of protecting material is useful.  Many collectors use the stapled cardboard method.  You can buy coin holders inexpensively from Amazon. 

Of course, to grade would require complete images of obverse and reverse.

Also, you may want to view similar coins on ebay, etsy or heritage auctions for comparable listings.

Sheldon coin grading scale - Wikipedia

Not a ddr. Looks like strike doubling to me. They are the worthless doubling. I agree the coin is only worth face value and not worth submitting. 

On 10/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, CREDTO51 said:

IMG_0730.jpeg

What people are saying is its only worth 50 cents. Having it graded would not increase the value. A coin has to be worth at least a couple hundred dollars to make it worth sending in to get graded. In some cases it will make the coins that are worth grading worth a little more than they were raw depending on the grade assigned. And sometimes it does not add no value other than what it was valued at when submitting. But those coins have to be worth sending in. In your case the half dollar you shared is only worth face value and it would add no value at all to the coin inside the plastic. It would cost you around $80 to $100 to have it graded. You would be better off taking that money and buying a nice coin already graded. 

Edited by Hoghead515