• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My find of the week
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Always nce to find a die variety.  I assume that this is of the variety FS-101, VP-001?
Oddly, I am not able to find a rarity rating.  Although, from the prices, right off hand, it would seem that it is an R2.

Edited by dprince1138

Sandon I have not yet determined which variety it is and only comments from the seller only state accented hair so I tend to believe it’s not since the tpg did not identify it as such. Since I paid just $28 for it I think I did just fine.

I have seen different attributes listed for a variety, depending on the source of variety documentation.  Also, there is sometimes stated that a particular attribute may not always be seen for a particular die variety.

Also, on the Overton scale, there will be a sub scategory for an additional attribute, for example O-108 and O-108a, where the "a" category may include a die crack in addition to the attributes listed for O-108.

Edited by dprince1138

On 10/28/2023 at 8:10 PM, dprince1138 said:

I have seen different attributes listed for a variety, depending on the source of variety documentation.  Also, there is sometimes stated that a particular attribute may not always be seen for a particular die variety.

Also, on the Overton scale, there will be a sub scategory for an additional attribute, for example O-108 and O-108a, where the "a" category may include a die crack in addition to the attributes listed for O-108.

...those r most often die states....

On 10/29/2023 at 8:12 AM, zadok said:

...those r most often die states....

For the most part, I am not referring to die states.  Generally, specific die states are listed in specific categories (Overton, JR, VP, LM, etc).  For example, one source may indicate star rotation, while another source will not, for the same variety category.  One source may indicate that some coins may or may not have a small die crack at a particular location and the other source will not.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:27 PM, dprince1138 said:

For the most part, I am not referring to die states.  Generally, specific die states are listed in specific categories (Overton, JR, VP, LM, etc).  For example, one source may indicate star rotation, while another source will not, for the same variety category.  One source may indicate that some coins may or may not have a small die crack at a particular location and the other source will not.

...u r confused...u can not compare Overton bust half varieties to kennedy half dollar varieties...the sub categories on Overton varieties r normally die states...the dies used for kennedy halves dont have such sub varieties as "star rotations" as those dies were prepared entirely different...u r attempting to compare apples to oranges....

@dprince1138While we have the utmost respect for your coin collecting boy scout badge please realize you are corresponding with people that have DEEP numismatic knowledge. Merley throwing around numismatic terms and obscure numbers in an attempt to convince others of your knowledge will be met with wide opposition and challenge. The accuracy of your overall knowledge of coins and coin collecting will be scrutinized here. My advice if you don't know what you are talking about dont talk. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

My point is simply that coin die detail attributes can vary from source to source, regardless of category group.  I was only using an example, such as the indicator described as "accented hair".  The example that I used is something like;

source a:  O-112; date low, stair step date.

source b:  O-112; date low, stair step date, stars 11 and 12 have points toward denticles. 

On 10/28/2023 at 6:09 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

A 1964 D graded Double Die Obverse Accented hair Kennedy half MS62

Thats a nice "find" for $28 Bill.  Looks like a pretty old ANACS slab that doesn't have an FS variety number.

Btw, I like the modern ANACS slabs that have the angled top with basic info you can read from either the front or top.  I wish NGC and PCG$ would do that for when slabs are in like a storage box with closely spaced vertical slots.

On 10/29/2023 at 5:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

Btw, I like the modern ANACS slabs that have the angled top with basic info you can read from either the front or top.  I wish NGC and PCG$ would do that for when slabs are in like a storage box with closely spaced vertical slots.

Agree Eagle! Then I wouldn't have to empty my nearly full SDB when looking for one slab to retrieve. I tried to arrange the NGC slabs in the box by coin type, but eventually there's mixing and trying to find a specific slab turns into an "experience". Sometimes with cussing involved. LOL!

@Mr.Bill347, good find! I have bought several ANACS slabs like the one you have and have not been disappointed cracking them out and sending them to NGC btw.