• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Penny, might get it graded. What grade would you give it?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Review the grading scale and perhaps review coins on sources, such as ebay, to have a general idea of how to identify gradings.  Also, there are some sites that have actual coin wear examples of each grade.  Also, while there are subgradings by group, e.g., VF-20, VF-25, I would say to be more more familiar with each group at a high level, e.g., G, VG, F, etc.

Sheldon coin grading scale - Wikipedia

Edited by dprince1138

On 10/30/2023 at 12:21 AM, dprince1138 said:

Review the grading scale and perhaps review coins on sources, such as ebay, to have a general idea of how to identify gradings.

I wouldn't go anywhere near ebay for coin grades as most of them, even on sold listings, are overgraded to try increasing the sale price.  Stick with graded examples from reputable sources like CoinFacts or slabbed coins on auction sites like GC or HA.

NGC Coin Explorer also has a few graded examples for each coin from their registry, but not the comprehensive grade examples that you find on CoinFacts.

On 10/30/2023 at 2:28 PM, EagleRJO said:

I wouldn't go anywhere near ebay for coin grades as most of them, even on sold listings, are overgraded to try increasing the sale price.  Stick with graded examples from reputable sources like CoinFacts or slabbed coins on auction sites like GC or HA.

NGC Coin Explorer also has a few graded examples for each coin from their registry, but not the comprehensive grade examples that you find on CoinFacts.

@dprince1138 is a wealth of misinformation.   Photo grade is the best on-line resource for newbies.

On 10/30/2023 at 5:38 PM, Coinbuf said:

@dprince1138 is a wealth of misinformation.

It is looking like that. :whistle:

On 10/30/2023 at 5:38 PM, Coinbuf said:

Photo grade is the best on-line resource for newbies.

That's a great grading reference, but they don't have multiple examples in various conditions or colors for a particular grade which I sometimes find helpful, and found I was then going to other sites for more info.  So I have just been using CoinFacts for the specific coin and variety, unless there was an in between or lower grade not shown there in the examples.

Like they don't have circulated grades for the 1979 (P) 1C the op was asking about ... https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1979-1c-rd/images/2995

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/30/2023 at 3:20 PM, EagleRJO said:

It is looking like that. :whistle:

That's a great grading reference, but they don't have multiple examples in various conditions for a particular grade which I sometimes find helpful, and found I was then going to other sites for more info.  So I have just been using CoinFacts for the specific coin and variety, unless there was an in between or lower grade not shown there in the examples.

Like they don't have circulated grades for the 1979 (P) 1C the op was asking about ... https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1979-1c-rd/images/2995

Coinfacts does work for uncirculated and classic pre 1933 coins where there are going to be some circulated examples to look at.   But the more modern you get the less likely you will find the types of circulated coins we see posted by the newbies on coinfacts.   Thats why I feel photograde is usually a better resource for them.

I can't tell the difference between an MS68 and an MS68+, and even struggle with an MS64 vs an MS66 so I find multiple examples for the exact coin I am examining often helps.  And for identifying "+" grades maybe one of these days, in a galaxy far far away ,,. ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/29/2023 at 9:32 PM, powermad5000 said:

It has been recommended by several members of the forum to the OP in other threads that the OP at least get a Redbook. I have also recommended the OP to get the ANA Grading Standards book.

Why do that when they have YOUUUUUU!

A typical 1979 cent plucked out of a BU roll. I have 8 such rolls, at least 1/3 of which are nicer than this one, maybe half. This is NOT a grading-worthy coin. DON'T BE SO ANXIOUS TO GET COINS GRADED! Until you get some significant expertise, you'll bleed red ink doing it.