• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Denver Lincoln cent. Help grade
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I would grade this as Unc Details, cleaned. Typically, cents with a pink color have been cleaned in the past and the color is indicative of a substance used to either dip or rub the cent in an attempt to improve its appearance for whatever reason. In 1963, these were struck in brass and not copper, but I suspect the pink color is due to a reaction with the brass to whatever was used to clean the coin.

This coin is certainly not a candidate for submission.

Edited by powermad5000

The 1963-D is one of those issues from the "BU roll craze" of the early to mid-1960s of which large numbers of 50-coin rolls and 5,000-coin bags were hoarded. Large quantities of uncirculated coins of these dates remain available. The vast majority of these coins are bagmarked and/or spotted and can't achieve sufficiently high grades, such as MS 66 or 67 RD, to justify the cost of third-party grading. They are usually sold uncertified for less than a dollar and collected in albums.

The coin posted here exhibits numerous abrasions in the fields and a rim nick at 2:00. The pinkish toning suggests a "cleaning", which would preclude a numerical grade, or if interpreted as toning would preclude a full red (RD) grade.  The highest grade I can even imagine this coin grading would be MS 64 RB (red and brown), which has an NGC Price Guide value of $5.  See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). The NGC grading fee for this coin would be $23 at the "Economy" tier, plus its share of the $10 per order processing fee, $28 per order up to ten-coin return shipping fee, and the cost of shipping to NGC. 

Here are photos of a 1962-D Lincoln cent NGC graded MS 65 RD for which I paid $12.50 last year, below its current NGC Price Guide value of $15. It was either submitted as part of a discounted dealer "bulk submission" of 100 or more coins of the same type in which the dealer hoped enough pieces would grade high enough to make the submission worthwhile or by a collector without adequate knowledge of grading, who ended up taking the loss. Note the original full orange-red color of this coin and the somewhat better quality of the surfaces when compared to your 1963-D.

1962-Dcentobv..thumb.jpg.fcef5f49800b0d78d9545f9c27a65ad1.jpg

1962-Dcentrev..thumb.jpg.8ed1deeb42d8a2e3eb163b2e0951f5c6.jpg

On 10/26/2023 at 11:55 PM, Rykel said:

It's an excellent condition and has amazing pink toning on the obverse and reverse. Very sharp full steps need opinions should I get graded.

It is also circulated. For the $50 in fees and postage you will have a coin valued at about 2-cents. Does that answer your question?

The odds of you finding a Lincoln penny (wheat, memorial or shield) that is older than 2021 in circulation or in rolls that grades MS67 or higher is ASTRONOMICAL. It is possible but not likely. The coins must be PERFECT. This means they must be full red or red brown, no contact marks, not cleaned, no damage, no circulation wear apparent and a fully struck coin with great details. Good luck.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/26/2023 at 8:55 PM, Rykel said:

It's an excellent condition and has amazing pink toning on the obverse and reverse. Very sharp full steps need opinions should I get graded.

No you should not.