• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 NO S ?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

ARE THESE THE PROOF NO S DIMES???PROLLY NOT BUT BOTH HAVE DIFFERNT LOOK THAN ANY OTHER ONES I HAVE OR SEEN FROM PHILI....I THINK THE JS DESIGNER INTIALS LOOK PRETY MUCH THE SAME AS THE PROOF NO S ONE....HORRIBLE CONDITION I KNOW THO...ALSO THE HAIR SOMEWHAT RESEMBLES THE NO S DIME....HELP THANKS

SingleShot0004.jpg

SingleShot0005.jpg

SingleShot0006.jpg

SingleShot0007.jpg

How do know if its a no S dime proof though????because my 2 other dimes with no mint mark shows the deseigner intials totaly different an the no S proofs without the S deseigner intials match the proof no S dime though.And the other 2 dimes designer intials match with the phili P....weird... idk tho...

Only two 1975 "no S" proof dimes are known to exist, at least one of which was found in a mint packaged 1975 proof set. Both are in Gem Proof condition (PCGS graded PR 68 and PR 66), with their original mirror surfaces, and none has been found since 1984. See https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1975-10c-no-s/5254.  The Philadelphia mint issued 585,673,900 1975 dimes for circulation, also without mintmarks. (The "P" mintmark was not used on dimes and most other denominations until 1980.) Presumably, any circulated 1975 dime found in circulation would be one of these Philadelphia strikes, and I am unaware of any numismatic reference purporting to explain how one could tell the difference.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:04 PM, Travsobeast said:

.I THINK THE JS DESIGNER INTIALS LOOK PRETY MUCH THE SAME AS THE PROOF NO S ONE...

In what way? Can you show photos of other 1975 dimes that show how the initials differ from these two? Moreover, how do you know that all of the hundreds of millions of Philadelphia circulation strikes, which would have been struck from several thousand different die pairs, all had this same style of "JS" that differed from that of the "no S" proofs?

You're proposing that you just happen to have found two 1975 "no S" proof dimes that were removed from 1975 proof sets and spent and now are well-circulated coins with no proof surfaces, but you can tell the difference between them and other well circulated 1975 dimes struck in Philadelphia. How likely is this?

Edited by Sandon
clarified language